It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating Component Baseline

Chris Barlock (18814738) | asked Feb 07 '14, 5:09 p.m.
I want to create a baseline of a component in a stream to note a milestone.  If I go to Source Control > <Stream> > <Component> and right-click on the component, I don't have an option to create a baseline.  (This does seem to me to be the logical place to do it.)  However, I can do this from the component in the Pending Changes view.  It is not clear to me if I create a baseline, am I creating it on my repository workspace or on the stream, since they are linked together by specifying a flow target.  I would appreciate some clarification on this. 

Thanks!

Chris

Accepted answer

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Feb 08 '14, 11:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Chris,

Creating a component baseline in the pending changes view creates it in the context of the repository workspace. It will be an outgoing item which you can deliver to the stream. Alternatively you can create it on Workspace > Component. Third way is to create a snapshot on your stream and set the "Create Baseline" checkbox.

If this answers your question please mark this as accepted.

Thanks,
Arne
Chris Barlock selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Chris Barlock commented Feb 08 '14, 11:59 a.m.

Thanks Arne.  So if I really want to just "tag" a level of code so that we know what went into a milestone, I would have to load my repository workspace from the stream to use the first or second method.  Sounds like the third way is the easiest.  Appreciate the quick response!

Chris

2 other answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 09 '14, 10:19 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is fixed in 4.0.6, where you can create a baseline in a stream component from the Team Artifact Navigator (see work item Cannot create a baseline on a component in a stream from the TAN (174950)). 

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 08 '14, 12:35 p.m.
edited Feb 08 '14, 12:36 p.m.
If I want a baseline in a stream, I prefer to create the baseline directly in the stream, rather than creating it in a workspace and flowing it to the stream, because if multiple workspaces are flowing baselines to a stream, the baseline flowing behavior can be quite confusing (e.g., accepting a baseline into a workspace that has an outgoing baseline can make that outgoing baseline magically disappear).  The simplest approach is to just create a snapshot on the stream (which automatically creates any needed baselines).   But if you want to create a baseline in just one of the stream components, the approach I use is to give the stream a flow target (doesn't matter what flow target), and then you can show the stream in the Pending Changes view.   This will allow you to create the baseline directly in the stream.

Comments
Arne Bister commented Feb 08 '14, 5:43 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

What Geoff said.
Oh, and you can drag&drop a stream into the pending changes view even if it has no flow targets.

Just a fine point to add, if you do want to use a workspace to make the baseline the component does not have to be loaded.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 09 '14, 10:21 p.m.

I've submitted work item Allow "show in Pending Changes" to be applied to a stream with no flow target (302179) requesting that you be able to add a stream into a pending changes view with "show -> pending_changes" even when the stream has no flow targets.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.