It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What exactly is the new release burndown showing?

Evan Leonard (4667) | asked Feb 06 '14, 3:36 p.m.

Below is an image of a burndown from a single team. It is one of over a dozen teams in the same project area. We are having a hard time interpreting this chart.

new burndown

The planned work in the burndown does not match what the teams' release plan shows as the total points in their plan. The charts shows 2000 pts. The plan shows over 3800 pts.

Also, the last dot doesn't make sense on the burndown - it is showing past the current sprint. The remaining work also doesn't line up with the amount of work remaining shown in the plan. I'd expect to see about 470 pts remaining, this burndown shows over 600.

Can someone tell me exactly what this chart is summing up and reporting for each dot in this chart?

Thank you,
Evan

One answer

permanent link
Peter DeRosa (334) | answered Sep 04 '14, 2:37 p.m.

I have a few problems with this chart as well, but I believe I figured out at least that the blue dots represent the remaining work at the beginning of the sprint.  So if you want to see where you are when you finish your last sprint (presumably the point), then there has to be an extra data point on the x axis.

I believe the old chart (though I haven't verified) actually chose to put an extra bar at the front labeled Start, i.e. the points represented Remaining Work at the end of each iteration, so it didn't have an extra at the end. 

As far as point totals, I don't really know, but basics would be to double check the iterations and teams you're including in the chart match the plan view you're looking at (I'm guessing you did that already, but worth mentioning).

Different, but maybe of interest, here's my question on weirdness around the "Now" point and the x axis: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/162663/advanced-release-burndown-now-point-causing-incorrect-x-axis-scale

Good luck!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.