It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Are there any Chef cookbooks for provisioning?

Christian Höltje (5810) | asked Feb 06 '14, 3:02 p.m.
edited May 21 '16, 3:04 a.m.
Are there any chef cookbooks out there for rational products? e.g. BuildTools, Eclipse-with-the-RTC-plugin, scmTools, RTC server, etc.?

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Feb 08 '14, 3:12 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

@abister Not spam. Chef is a DevOps tool for easily configuring systems. 

Arne Bister commented Feb 08 '14, 7:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hmmm ... you mean like IBM Rational UrbanCode uDeploy and UrbanCode uRelease, tying into the IBM Rational DevOps strategy with continuous improvements to the integration with e.g. RTC?

Christian Höltje commented Feb 08 '14, 8:43 p.m.

Actually, it isn't the same as uDeploy.  In fact, uDeploy frequently uses Chef to do things.

uDeploy is a workflow management tool for deployment.  You'd use it control deploying a certain software stack from environment to environment.

Chef could be used to do what uDeploy does, but it lacks the built-in workflow stuff that makes uDeploy nice.  Other systems that are similar: cfEngine and Puppet.

Anyway, chef cookbooks for Rational components doesn't preclude uDeploy and as I said, uDeploy can (and frequently does) use Chef... so cookbooks would be useful either way.

Ralph Schoon commented May 20 '16, 2:55 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

To avoid the spam button, try to create a smarter question topic next time. E.g. Are there any chef cookbooks out there for Jazz Products?

I had the same reaction Arne had when reading the topic but then remembered this annoying head-hunter not stopping to send me messages about Chef.

Liora Milbaum commented Dec 19 '17, 11:48 a.m.

Did you find relevant chef cookbooks for Jazz/Rational products?

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.