It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

View documents in the Jazz web

Matthias Buettgen (23612131) | asked Sep 14 '07, 5:02 a.m.
Hi,

does someone know if it's possible to view documents in the Jazz web interface???

Cheers
Matthias

6 answers

permanent link
Bill Higgins (24611) | answered Sep 21 '07, 3:59 p.m.
Thanks for the clarification Matthias - I'll pass a link to this thread to the Requirements team.

permanent link
Matthias Buettgen (23612131) | answered Sep 21 '07, 3:50 p.m.
Hi Bill,

I mean Requirements, Documents and Stories which can be created under Project Area -> Requirements (right mouse button New). We think it could be very helpful because you can involve the customer into the development activities like reviewing the document content. This follows the agile approach of an ambassador user.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Br
Matthias

permanent link
Bill Higgins (24611) | answered Sep 16 '07, 6:58 p.m.
> in the Jazz client you have the chance to create and edit documents

Matthias, I assume by "Jazz client" you mean the Eclipse-based Team Concert client. I'm still a bit fuzzy on what you mean by "documents". Does this mean simple .txt files, does it mean Word documents, does it mean Jazz Requirements, etc.?

The URI you referenced for viewing work items is related to Work Items, not documents (as I understand documents). Work items are simply numbered records that track some work to be performed with associated priority, owner, state, resolution, etc. To me a document is typically less structured content (like a Word doc which is just a bunch of formatted text and associated content).

If you simply want to be able to store semi-structured docs in the Jazz repository, one easy mechanism is to attach the documents to work items through the "Attachments" feature available both in the Eclipse and Web UIs. With this capability you can opaquely store any file you like, you can remove it later, and you can directly access that file by URI. However, there is no mechanism to edit attachments in place; the best you could currently do is download an attachment, edit it locally, then remove the old attachment and upload the new one.

One challenge with editing a document in place is that you must have some 'editor' that understands the structure of the document so that the user can both read and edit it. For most document types other than text or HTML, creating an editor is a very difficult task; e.g. it's much simpler to say "Use Microsoft Word to edit Word documents" vs. writing a custom editor that can edit Word documents via the web.

I still feel that I'm missing your need here, but hopefully my explanation has helped a bit. Here's a URI to a work item with an attachment (please don't remove it though :-))

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz%20Project#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=24315

(click on the 'Attachments' link to see its attachment)

permanent link
Matthias Buettgen (23612131) | answered Sep 16 '07, 5:49 p.m.
Hi Elisabeth, hi Bill,

in the Jazz client you have the chance to create and edit documents. We also want to share those documents with persons who don't have a Team Concert installed, e.g., a customer who could for instance review a requirement specification.
Actually it seems to be possible to open a document in the web ui by http://..../jazz/web/projects/MyProj#perspective=Work%20Items&action=viewWorkItem&id=(docId) but the document content isn't shown.

It could be nice to have something like perspective=Document&DocumentId=docId with the document content shown and the possibility to edit the document if the user has logged on.

Regards
Matthias

permanent link
Bill Higgins (24611) | answered Sep 15 '07, 4:56 a.m.
Matthias, as Elisabeth said, would you please describe in greater detail the "view documents" capability?

I lead the Jazz web UI stuff so I'm very interested in anything people like, don't like, or find lacking.

Thanks in advance.

permanent link
Elisabeth Carbone (616108) | answered Sep 14 '07, 7:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Matthias,
I am not sure what exactly you mean by documents. In the Web Interface you can open Reports and Iteration plans. You can also view attachments in Work Items. I tried to view an attached Word document and worked fine.

Maybe you are looking for something else? Explain pleae.
Elisabeth

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.