It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can RTC generate automatic weekly status emails?

William McNeill (134) | asked Feb 03 '14, 10:01 a.m.
I am on a medium-sized team that is working on a set of disparate projects. We just switched to RTC. The manager would like to see a status email with a two-or-three sentence update for each project on Monday mornings. We'd like to have the heads of the individual projects write these summaries on Fridays and then have the status email generated automatically.

Currently we have implemented our own status update web page and automatic mailer, but this seems like reinventing the wheel. Can RTC do this for us?

2 answers

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k375103) | answered Feb 03 '14, 10:57 a.m.
edited Aug 25 '15, 4:41 a.m.
You can also use RRDI or Insight and create interesting reports there. They allows also periodically sending e-mails to certain persons. Anyway this is just an idea (I like better the solution from Anthony :))

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Feb 03 '14, 10:30 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
There are few approaches you might consider here:

1) Create a work item for weekly status (it can be of any type) and get people to add their updates to that work item.  Add the manager to the work item as a subscriber and they will see the changes. The format may not be ideal but it will be automatic.

2) Consider creating a dashboard for the manager and populate it with content they would find relevant (rather than just a few words).  Then the manager can see the update whenever they want to.  Find out what the manager really needs to care about (eg: progress, defects fixed or discovered, etc) - and ultimately the heads of projects would not have to waste time with the summary.

I am always a bit cautious about the heads of projects creating summaries that put a positive spin on the project - it is harder to hide real data from the project itself.

Hope that gives you a few ideas to play with

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.