It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Merge Projects via Archive Strategy?

Robert Carter (42928589) | asked Jan 31 '14, 9:48 a.m.
edited Feb 04 '14, 7:37 a.m. by Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12)
 I understand that merging projects together is not supported, but what about using archiving and an umbrella LPA project to achieve a similar result.

For Example:

So, let say you have three LPAs and you want to merge them into one LPA.  Each LPA has a CCM, RRC and RQM component.

Could you copy the artifact containers for each LPA into the new LPA?
So, the new LPA would have a total of four sets CCM, RRC and RQM artifact containers three sets from the other LPAs and One set from the new LPA.  Then archive the OLD LPAs so they don't appear in the UI anymore.

Users could still search and reference to archived data and wouldn't be in UI to clutter?
Links from the old execution records linked to defect records, linked to requirements would still be valid?

So, you have not technically merged the projects, but you have created an umbrella project that references old/archived projects artifact containers and you have new artifact contains for moving forward?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 07 '14, 2:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Robert,

the LPA is just a project that holds the other projects together. Setting up the LPA creates project references and the like. But using an LPA does not move any data around. So I don't see how LPA should help here. Archiving an LPA does not have any effect on the artifacts itself. Since the LPA stores very little information, as far as I am aware, I am not sure about any benefits of archiving it.

Comments
Robert Carter commented Feb 12 '14, 9:04 a.m.

We have a lot of LPAs around.  So, now we want to par down the list and consolidate.  So, for the sake of reducing clutter we wanted to merge LPAs.  Since you can't do that.  I was thinking archiving would achieve the same results.  So I would create a new LPA add the references to the old artifacts to this new LPA and then archive the old LPA.  Thus, reducing the clutter in the UI?  

Or if we do archive the old artifacts, CCM, RRC, RQM projects.  Is there a way to retrieve that data for historical purposes?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.