It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why do Visual Studio and Eclipse spend hours "updating workspace"?

Eddie Breeveld (6112530) | asked Jan 30 '14, 5:59 a.m.
edited Jan 30 '14, 7:39 a.m.
On accepting the the latest changes, a colleague had to wait for an hour with a "Progress Information" dialog containing "Accepting changes" and "Updating workspace...".  At the same time (using Resource Monitor) we could see that the .itemdata file for every file in RTC was being read.  1) Why does it do this and 2) why does it take so long?
Visual Studio 2012, RTC 4.0.4

Comments
Eddie Breeveld commented Jan 30 '14, 7:41 a.m.

Same problem in Eclipse.  It says it's "Recomputing pending changes".

Eddie Breeveld commented Jan 31 '14, 6:08 a.m.

Seems to be caused by swapping between Eclipse and RTC.

Eddie Breeveld commented Jan 31 '14, 6:11 a.m.

Sorry, I meant to say that it seems to be caused by swapping between Eclipse and Visual Studio RTC clients.

One answer

permanent link
Sonia Dimitrov (27159) | answered Jan 31 '14, 10:08 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello Eddie,

could you provide more detail around the workflow?  How was the workspace originally loaded?  Why is there swapping between the Visual Studio and Eclipse clients?

Sonia

Comments
Eddie Breeveld commented Jan 31 '14, 10:42 a.m.

Hi Sonia,
It was originally loaded using Visual Studio.  There were many loading errors because the Visual Studio client logs off after two hours and we had a slow data line to the Jazz server.  I then used Eclipse to load the rest of the files, because it does not log off after two hours.  We develop in Visual Studio, so I reverted back to Visual Studio once loaded.  I needed to load another large tranche of files into the same sandbox, so I went back to Eclipse.  After loading I started my development work in Visual Studio again.
Eddie

Sonia Dimitrov commented Jan 31 '14, 10:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I will try to reproduce the error by loading a workspace with eclipse then switching over to the Visual Studio client.

Sonia Dimitrov commented Feb 06 '14, 10:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I tried this with a workspace containing ~84K files and ~37K folders.  After selecting the workspace in Pending Changes to accept incoming changes, the "Updating changes" dialog remained open for ~5 mins, then accepting changes took 5 mins.  I tried this with a 4.0.6 candidate Eclipse and VS clients.

How many files and folders does your workspace contain?  What load options were used for the load?

Eddie Breeveld commented Feb 06 '14, 10:45 a.m.

110 K files, 24K folders, and about 35 Gigabytes. The jazz server is on a different continent and we get less than 30 Mbit/sec data rate, mostly limited by the data rate out of our local office.  10 threads (that's the only load option I know about!).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.