It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a URL trick to get a large RRC Module to load?

Nate Decker (37814261) | asked Jan 29 '14, 8:45 a.m.
retagged Jan 29 '14, 9:24 a.m. by Laura W. Hinson (16126)

I have a large module in RRC (~15,000 artifacts). In 4.0.1, this module would sometimes not load. I would have to repeatedly reload the page before the artifacts would finally be displayed. At the time, I thought this was because 4.0.1 was the first time modules had been implemented and RRC was not yet optimized to support them. After all, modules were first slated to be released in 4.0, but were delayed until the subsequent release due to performance concerns.

I just gritted my teeth and bore the inconvenience of sometimes not having my data available to me. I was optimistic that when we upgraded our server to 4.0.5, we would get these issues resolved (we skipped all of the intermediate updates). After all, most of the patch notes between 4.0.1 and 4.0.5 promised "performance improvements".

Fast forward to the present and we have recently upgraded to RRC 4.0.5. Now the module doesn't load at all. It doesn't matter how many times I reload the page, it just won't pull up the data. The error message is:

"The server has taken too long to respond."
"ID CRRRW7557E The application has been waiting for some time for the server to respond to a request."

Before this message comes up, I get this one:

"The list of artifacts cannot be displayed"
"ID CRRRW7611W The server was unable to generate the list of artifacts in a reasonable period of time. Try making the filter more specific. For example, specify which artifact types to display, and try to open the list again."

I've tried various strategies to get to the data, but nothing appears to work. Is there some sort of argument I can add to the RRC URL to extend the time before the web client "gives up"? Do I have any other option available to me? I created a defect against this behavior when it was first encountered in 4.0.1, but at the time of this posting, it remains unfixed.

I had heard that you can get a "Rich Client" that works with RRC. Most of my searches on Jazz.net associate the Rich Client with DOORS NG, not RRC. However, back in 4.0.1 I found a trial installation of the DOORS client and was able to get it to successfully talk to the RRC database. We were told when we were first evaluating the IBM Rational Toolset that the back-end of DOORS NG and RRC were the same so you could use the DOORS client if necessary. Does anyone know if there is an RRC "Rich Client" or is that exclusively the domain of web browsers?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dave Evans (14812846) | answered Jan 29 '14, 1:28 p.m.
We changed the value for com.ibm.rdm.fronting.server.query.client.timeout from 10000 to 60000 and this appears to have resolved our issue.
Nate Decker selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Stef van Dijk commented Jan 29 '14, 2:18 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

While extending the timeout allows the query to complete, I have to add my concern to Mike's comment below. This may simply be masking a more serious issue and it may simply be a matter of time beforeĀ  60 seconds isn't sufficient and you find yourself extending the timeout again.
And remember, this is extending the timeout for all queries, so if other poor performing queries are now allowed to run longer, you will affect the overall performance of the server.

One other answer

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Jan 29 '14, 12:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Nate,

This is a bit disconcerting, because there were some serious improvements made to module loading in 4.0.5 under this plan item: Fast loading and scrolling on large modules (77657) (and further improvements planned for 4.0.6 here: Improve module responsiveness: large modules shall display quickly (79337)). If your modules still have problems loading, I would suspect something a bit more sinister happening behind the scenes, and not so much the fact that these enhancements aren't doing their job ... I would suggest that you open a PMR with Rational Support in order to fully diagnose this issue: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/rational/support/contact.html. The most important things that I would like to get through the PMR would be to take a look at a HAR file which would detail the entire loading process of the module, also exposing any applicable exceptions that might have been hidden by the web client.

You may also want to check in your fronting.properties file that the "com.ibm.rdm.fronting.server.modules.cache.enabled" property is set to true, because this may be affecting module loading times as well.

As for your question about the rich client, unfortunately it has been discontinued in 4.0.5 due to the complexity of maintenance between a full web and rich client. You can see on the jazz.net Downloads page that the rich client was available for DOORS Next Gen 4.0.4, although I don't have a precise reference where the decision to discontinue the rich client was decided (sorry).

Do you have any further questions? I hope this helps a bit.
Mike Jaworski

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.