It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to find/query reopened work items

Jesse Timbang (3211619) | asked Jan 29 '14, 5:52 a.m.
 In RTC, how does a user query for reopened work items? For example the work item was Resolved and then Reopened. I can see that information in the History tab of each work item, but is querying it possible?

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 29 '14, 6:15 a.m.
you cannot QUERY history. you can write a REPORT, using BIRT (or RRDI/Insight) to access the history data.
Jesse Timbang selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k374103) | answered Jan 29 '14, 6:21 a.m.
Anyway it is good RFE candidate. Feel free to create it on https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational Team Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.newWorkItem&type=enhancement

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jan 29 '14, 6:25 a.m.

Generally query against History is pretty useless. cause you need to do math to find anything useful.  (how long did it take to do x. how many times did Y occur).. there is no math function in a query.

Jesse Timbang commented Jan 29 '14, 7:46 a.m.

Trying to find out how many work items got reopened in a given time frame I think is something useful.

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Jan 29 '14, 6:36 a.m.
If you have a custom template you can do some things:
1. introduce a "Reopened" status with a transition from the "Closed" status, to find all workitems that have been recently reopened
2. create a custom attribute with a calculated value that is set to some value when a user is reopening the workitem, and query the attribute to find all workitems that have ever been reopened during their lifetime. This can be done with the SDK (perhaps also with JavaScript through process attachments)

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jan 29 '14, 6:41 a.m.
  1. once they transition out of re-opened, you cannot query that data anymore.
  2. if it happens AGAIN, then the counter is overlayed, and u lost the fact and impact of the prior event.

the RRDI/Insight ETL create new fact tables from the history that document this data. (time in state and count of state transitions).

Piotr Aniola commented Jan 29 '14, 6:52 a.m.

Exactly, but the requirements are not clear enough to tell if any of these concerns are an actual problem. Anyway, I agree that the report is a superior solution.

Jesse Timbang commented Jan 29 '14, 7:29 a.m.

One workaround we thought of for the meantime is to put a tag when a work item gets reopened then query the tag. Of course that doesn't address the old ones. 

Piotr Aniola commented Jan 29 '14, 7:47 a.m.

Yes, that was something along the lines of my second proposition.
I don't think there is a way to address the old ones, other than creating a report, but it might be a candidate for an RFE.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.