It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Enumeration literals not displayed in child project area (RTC 4.0.3)

Jeremy Upright (2145) | asked Jan 28 '14, 10:43 a.m.
I have created a Master project template with a custom WI type and custom attributes.  When I create a new PA that uses the process configuration from the "Master" some of the custom enumerations do not display the literal values in the attribute.

Master PA
The literals are visible in the WI created from the Master PA.

Child PA
The literals are not visible in the WI created from the Child PA using eclipse client.
The literals are not visible in the WI created from the Child PA using web client (Firefox).  This was also confirmed on multiple workstations.

I also unlinked the projects and relinked as well as created a new "Child #2" PA, but the issue remains.  Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments
Andy Jewell commented Jan 28 '14, 1:08 p.m. | edited Jan 28 '14, 1:09 p.m.
Does Child PA process configuration source look right (i.e., does it have the literals defined)?  I don't know much about this, but I had an issue with behavior not matching the process config and when I made a change that update the process config source, then all the changes were effective.  I would try adding a new literal value to the Child PA using the UI (not modifying source) and see what shows up - the new value, all of them, or none of them.

Jeremy Upright commented Jan 28 '14, 1:24 p.m.

When a project inherit's the process of another PA, the source is basically empty.  Everything appears as unconfigured.  If you change the configuration in the child PA, that breaks the sharing for the area the change was made (i.e. Enumerations or Attribute Customization).

I have a PMR with IBM, so I will see if they will have some answers.

Jeremy Upright commented Jan 28 '14, 2:08 p.m.

I figured out why the enumeration literals were not displayed in the Child PA.  In the master PA, when I created the enumerations, I elected to store the enumeration in the Database rather than in the Process Specification.  Creating new Attributes, enumerations, presentation, etc. and selecting to store the enumeration in the Process Specification seems to have resolved the issue.

sam detweiler commented Jan 28 '14, 3:11 p.m.

yes, Database enums are not shareable. (sadly) 

One answer

permanent link
Jeremy Upright (2145) | answered Jan 28 '14, 5:03 p.m.
Attributes whose enumerations are stored in the database will not be shared to a child PA.  Enumerations must be saved in the Process Specification in order to be shared to child projects.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.