It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Everyone is asking what will be used to import to RQM when Microsoft is no longer supported. Does anyone know?

Lillian Bunch (111) | asked Jan 28 '14, 7:16 a.m.
We use the Excel/Word import tool for loading test cases/suites to RQM. It is my understanding that Excel/word support is going away. What will Rational be supporting as the import tool when this happens?

2 answers

permanent link
Lillian Bunch (111) | answered Jan 28 '14, 7:58 a.m.

This is from a user this morning:

"We are hearing that Microsoft Office, therefore Excel will soon no longer be available.... Do you know anything on this ?

This leads to the impending issue we will have with our current automatic upload from Excel into RQM... Do you know

if there is a similar tool we will be able to use from Apache into RQM ?"

I was working with another user on importing requirements to RRC and she too said we will not be using Exce/Word in the near future.

I have been hearing these rumblings for a while now.

Comments
Paul Slauenwhite commented Jan 28 '14, 8:15 a.m. | edited Jan 29 '14, 7:06 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

We are not aware of support ending for Microsoft Office, as a product.  However, support for Microsoft Office 2003 will end in 2014 (see http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspx). That said, the RQM Excel/Word Importer is supported for Microsoft Office 2007/2010.

What do you mean by Apache?  Apache is an open-source project with many different sub-projects/products.

Ara Masrof commented Jan 28 '14, 8:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Lillian,

It sounds like this is an internal company policy to move away from MS office rather than the RQM not supporting it.
Currently, there are no imminent  plans to support Open Office with the RQM Excel/Word import tool
There is an existing enhancement request that talks about support for alternatives to MS Office 

Don Yang commented Jan 28 '14, 9:06 p.m. | edited Jan 28 '14, 9:07 p.m.

We know some companies consider to move to cloud based Office 365 and the users want to know how to make Excel/WordImporter work in those environment. Since this could be a trend for small/medium companies, I am not sure if the tool considers to adapt to that change.

Paul Slauenwhite commented Jan 29 '14, 7:11 a.m.

Hi Don and Lillian,

The RQM Excel/Word Importer supports Microsoft Office 2003+ and 2010+ (64 bit).  However, RQM Excel/Word Importer has not been tested on Microsoft Office 365.  Users can open a RQM defect for an issues around running RQM Excel/Word Importer in Microsoft Office 365.

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Jan 28 '14, 7:35 a.m.
Hi Lillian,

We have no immediate plans to terminate support for the RQM Excel/Word Importer.

Where did you hear support for the RQM Excel/Word Importer is going away?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.