It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Unable to provison custom plugin in order to show custom Micro BIRT report as a widget in ccm catalog

Murali Krishna Adiraju (133) | asked Jan 27 '14, 10:50 a.m.
 I followed this article: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ReportsCreatingANewReport30 and able to create a new BIRT report and also a Micro BIRT report. 

Referring to this article : https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/HowToAddNewDashboardTrendReports

Method: Run-time process contribution mechanism:  works fine for me. Able to deploy Micro BIRT report as widget into the catalog and everything looks good. 
However, I want to have my own preview image, thumbnail, title link to parent report etc, so removed instances of widget from process configuration and tried to follow the other method (details below)

Method: Development-time extension point contribution mechanism.
I followed it point to point twice and copied bundled jar as per instructions here: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/HowToProvisionBundlesJazzServer
Since it is a new widget, it is a new copy not a replacement. However after restarting my jazz server, it is not picking the plugin.
I see nothing related to my plugin at : /ccm/admin?internal=true#action=com.ibm.team.repository.admin.provisionStatus or <clm-server-installation-root>/server/tomcat/work/Catalina/<server-public-uri-root>/ccm/eclipse/plugins

Observations: I copied my plugin to <clm-server-installation-root>/server/conf/ccm/sites/update-site/plugins . Can I do that for my custom report ? Other plugins follow a structure with a jar in features folder, one in plugins folder and an entry in sites.xml file but my custom plugin (as instructed in above article) is simple project, no such folders or not even a java project.

Please help if I am missing anything?

Note: All this I am doing to have my own preview image, thumbnail, link to parent etc;  Otherwise method -1 works good to just have my widget in catalog with default jazz thumbnail. Is there any other way to achieve this objective ?

Thanks 

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Jan 27 '14, 6:00 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You don't mention if you followed the instructions regarding the server reset. The article specifically mentions this is required unless this is the very first time you have started the server.

Also, while I'd expect it should work with later versions, both of the first two articles are likely v3.x. Is your server 3.x?

Murali Krishna Adiraju commented Jan 27 '14, 9:34 p.m.

Hi Millard, server is 4.0.4. I followed server reset properly by issuing command using admin link. It was flagged for reset. Also tried deleting ccm folder in tomcat work dir. But of no use. 

May be the article is for 3.x, but I believe these concepts still hold good. Not sure!

One answer

permanent link
Murali Krishna Adiraju (133) | answered Jan 28 '14, 11:45 p.m.
 I am able to achieve above objective. Steps below:

1. Import "com.ibm.team.reports.rtc.viewlets.web" project from RTC 4.0.4 SDK
2. Add my own custom viewlet entries
3. Replace the updated jar on the server at : ..ccm\sites\rtc-commons-update-site\plugins\com.ibm.team.reports.rtc.viewlets.web_3.1.300.v20130614_0105.jar
4. Request a reset and restart the server. It now picks up.

But my question is : Is this right way to do ? Though it works, will it no impact when upgrading server to a newer version? I think during upgrade, it will update the above jar as well.

I am thinking more on the lines of a plugin that can drop in to above folder and extend the functionality without impacting any future server upgrades etc.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.