It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I view a Work Item Template without Creating a Work Item?

Jamie Schena (531521) | asked Jan 24 '14, 9:59 a.m.
I have a few templates created and I would like to view the template to ensure that all fields are correct. However, if I click on the template it automatically creates and saves a new work item. This is a little frustrating because there is no way to DELETE a work item, I have to just file it against our "Recycle Bin." I would like to be able to see what my template contains without  creating a work item.

Thank you so much!
Jamie

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 24 '14, 10:19 a.m.
edited Jan 24 '14, 10:19 a.m.
 sadly you cannot view the contents of  or edit a workitem template. 

you can give a role the ability to delete workitems.  we do this on our dev system.
Jamie Schena selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Ryan Davidson (1151611) | answered Jan 24 '14, 11:12 a.m.
edited Jan 24 '14, 11:13 a.m.

You can look at the template in your Process Attachments.

In Eclipse, right-click and Open.
Go to the Links Tab.
Look in the Attachments section for attachments in the form "com.ibm.team.workitem.templatex.xml".

You can Save any of these template definition XMLs somewhere local and view it to see the fields and values in the template.

P.S.) Deleting work items is possible in 2 ways:
1.) You have a permission that allows work item deletion. (Team Configuration -> Permissions, and then look in the Work Items tree.)
OR
2.) Create a 'TrashCan' project area and move the work items in to that project area.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.