It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why doesn't Visual Studio use a 64-bit scm.exe?

Eddie Breeveld (6112530) | asked Jan 24 '14, 3:32 a.m.
edited Jan 24 '14, 3:33 a.m.
We have a number of very large files and the Visual Studio 2012 RTC 4.0.4 plug-in cannot cope with them, so we have all had to install Eclipse with RTC to download these files.  We also had to modify the eclipse.ini file to set the heap to a huge value.

Adjusting the scm.ini file heap size used by the scm.exe that Visual Studio uses does not help because it is a 32-bit program.  Why doesn't Visual Studio use a 64-bit scm.exe?

2 answers

permanent link
Lakshmi Narasimhan T V (4415) | answered Jan 27 '14, 10:09 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,
I have raised a work item for this issue.

permanent link
Karthik Krishnan (8825118163) | answered Jan 27 '14, 10:35 a.m.
 I don't know if this helps but have you looked into the SCM folder under "C:\Program Files\IBM\Rational Team Concert Client for Microsoft Visual Studio IDE\3rd Party\scmtools\eclipse" ? There is scm.ini and perhaps you can define the Heap value for VS Client. I have never tested this though

Looking at the team concert logs, IBM is initializing a SCM Deamon. 

If my understanding is correct, in the back-end for VS client, IBM uses SCM Tools to do the talk to RTC

I may be wrong though but just a suggestion

Comments
Eddie Breeveld commented Jan 27 '14, 10:53 a.m.

I did adjust the scm.ini file heap size, but it cannot go above about 1500m because it is a 32-bit process.  Why doesn't Visual Studio use the 64-bit scm.exe, where I can set the heap size to 6g?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.