It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Moving JTS to a new host, keeping the same database

Mamadou Diallo (31278) | asked Jan 22 '14, 3:10 p.m.
edited Feb 17 '14, 11:26 a.m. by Hadar Hawk (1882214)
Hello,
I have my JTS server installed on machine X. The database is a SQL server running on machine Y. Is it possible to reinstall JTS on machine Z and point it to the same SQL server on machine Y, although that only knows about the X.domainname.com:9443/ccm context root?

Thanks,

6 answers

permanent link
N Z (3622127) | answered Feb 05 '14, 4:25 p.m.
 We had a number of problems with server rename, in some cases our fault (e.g., apps not registered properly, network problems), sometimes bugs (e.g, server rename complaining about properties that never or could never exist).
I found the errors in the logs fairly useful, we were able to target the problem from the information given, so look at all the logs closely, particularly the application logs. In a couple of cases we had to open PMR's. Support were very good is assisting us with this.
Note, that if the serverRenameStatus fails, you do not need to run the repotools again. Just attempt to fix the problems and then go back to serverRenameStatus to see if it gets past that problem. If you make changes to property files or you config, restart the affected server and then just go to serverRenameStatus again.
And like you, I think the strong coupling is appalling (sorry devs, big fail!) and the server rename solution and process a bit scary!

permanent link
Mamadou Diallo (31278) | answered Jan 30 '14, 3:22 p.m.
Thanks for all the information. I have gone through a rename twice already. Both times I get a rename completed message from the DOS command line where I ran the repotool. When I run the serverRenameStatus from a web client, I get two applications (/ccm, /admin) that are green, and two (/qm and /rm) that failed with the message: "The server retrieved status 500 when it contacted application /qm. Please consult the log files for more details ID CRJAZ2458E" I have checked several log files under the Jazz Install directory but I see nothing that stands out. Instead of trying a third time, I thought I'd ask if anyone has come across something similar, or if there are any suggestions.

permanent link
Pierre Friend (191915) | answered Jan 30 '14, 2:01 p.m.
Hi,
Are you using WAS or Tomcat?
If you are using WAS, I think you can create a virtual host for the applications. If you move JTS server from machine X to machine Z, you would create a virtual host in WAS called X.domainame.com and map this virtual host to your .war application web modules. You obviously would need to register the host name X.domainame.com with DNS, to the IP address of machine Z.
I have not tried this but in theory it should work.
https://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m4/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_configuring_virtual_hosts.html

Thanks.

permanent link
Matthias Buettgen (23612231) | answered Feb 05 '14, 3:27 p.m.
Hi Mamadou,

We had exactly the same problem. It was caused by an invalid server rename eventid in the rm application properties file (fronting.properties). After changing it the correct one it works.
Search for an entry in that file like com.ibm.team.jfs.app.util.serverRenameEventIds=....
and add the Url Mapping Id you get fromrea the urlMappaings service of the jts.
https://url.to.your.jts:9443/jts/urlMappings/prefixes

I assume that there is a problem especially related to the RRC renaming but this must be clarified by the developers.

Kind regards
Matthias

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k374103) | answered Jan 23 '14, 4:22 a.m.
Also since version 4 you can use server rename feature if you want to change uri. Please search for server rename resources in CLM infocenter.

permanent link
Shubjit Naik (1.5k1613) | answered Jan 22 '14, 11:44 p.m.
Hi Mamadou

You can move the JTS server as long as the JTS and CCM application URI does not change.

So if the current JTS URI is using the hostname , X.domainame.com:9443/jts, and moving it would mean that the URI would change to Z.domainame.com:9443/jts, then it wont work.

You cannot change the Application URI once it has been setup, unless you have followed the complete Server Rename process.

One thing to note is you have to copy the configuration files from machine x JTS install to machine z JTS install. The config files would have the information on the database location.

Comments
Mamadou Diallo commented Jan 23 '14, 8:42 a.m.

I was afraid this was the case but I'll check the information suggested by Krzysztof below. This sounds like strong coupling between a URI and a physical server. I think ideally RTC URIs should be loosely coupled to the physical host so that whoever wants to change it (whatever their reason for doing so) can do so. In my case, we want to move the RTC server to a bigger system as its usage within the company has exploded. But the current host is not going away so we can't reuse that name.

Thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.