It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM structuring and usage

Adam Geheb (622) | asked Jan 22 '14, 2:07 p.m.
Issues we need help with:
1.        We have created test suites comprised of several manual test cases.  We typically track our test executions via a test plan in rqm.  We add both test suites and independent test cases to this plan.  Is there a way to import the test cases directly to the test plan with a single operation, so we have all our test objects on the same hierarchical level(test cases under a test plan)?
2.        We are trying to create more broad user driven scenarios for SVT and are having a hard time getting them structured so they work in RQM.  Are their any guidelines we can look at to follow?  The problem is that we have large scenarios that will need to be assigned to multiple testers but have dependencies on each other to be executed in a specific sequence.  Can this be enforced?  The tracking and follow up on these complex tests will be just has hard as the identification, and setup on the environments to execute them.  I keep thinking this must be handled in RQM, but can't find any solution.
Any help or pointers you can give us would be appreciated.

One answer

permanent link
Reshma Ratnani (1.1k1) | answered Jan 29 '14, 7:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Adam,

1) Currently how are you adding the Testcase to TestPlan? Did you mean to copy all the Testcases which are part of a TestSuite to the TestPlan then that is not possible

2) Can you give a sample scenario so that we can understand your requirement better.

Thanks

Comments
Adam Geheb commented Jan 29 '14, 1:04 p.m.

Hi Reshma,

1)  We add both test cases and test suites to the same plan.  I am indeed trying to copy all the test cases from the suite to the plan so they are all visible at the same level.  Current lack of ability forces us to track execution at both the test case and test suite levels which makes life much more difficult and bulky.
2)  We wanted to write a scenario that mimicked the user's actions to migrate from the current version of the software to the next.  This upgrade requires numerous actions via several members of the customers IT force (Administrator, Developer, Tester, and end User). This is an extremely large test that will need to be broken down into smaller containable steps and spread across multiple engineers in our lab for execution.  I'm looking for a suggestion of how to structure the test in RQM, so that I can disseminate the multiple steps but ensure they are executed in the proper sequence as a previous step is required for subsequent actions. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.