It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Emails notifications are not triggered/sent to users set as approvers (who are not part of team).

Sanjeev Kulkarni (331722) | asked Jan 21 '14, 9:09 a.m.
edited Jan 22 '14, 7:56 a.m.
Its observed that emails notifications are not sent to users set as approvers who are not part of the team (RTC account exists). Is there a way to configure this so that emails can be sent.

If this is not possible then ideally users who are not members of the team should not be allowed to be set as approvers. Any way this can be achieved?

Problem noticed under Version:
RTC 4.0.2 & RTC 4.0.5.

3 answers

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Feb 21 '14, 5:12 a.m.
I was investigating this issue. Here are results:

E-mail notifications are not sent to the members not belonging to TA or PA when project visibility is set e.g. to project members only. These people cannot see this work item and could not do anything about this project. Moreover e-mail notifications could cause that these users saw data they must not see.

Anyway It could be good to provide any warning when you subscribe or ask for approval the user not belonging to PA/TA. There is enhancement opened for that: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=304306

permanent link
Sanjeev Kulkarni (331722) | answered Feb 06 '14, 9:29 a.m.
PMR with IBM is raised. Its a Defect, IBM is able to reproduce it.

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Jan 23 '14, 7:05 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Sanjeev,

I'm not aware if there is a rule in RTC that non team members won't receive email notifications for approvals.

Users can configure their own mail settings including if they want to receive an e-mail notification for approvals.  Is it possible the users who are not part of the team have elected to not receive notifications about approvals?  Users can check their notification settings in the web ui by doing the following:
  1. Click your name in the upper, right-hand corner.
  2. Select View My Profile and Licenses
  3. Click Mail Configuration on the left
  4. Ensure the "Email me for approval changes that affect me" box is checked

Comments
Sanjeev Kulkarni commented Jan 23 '14, 7:22 a.m. | edited Jan 23 '14, 7:23 a.m.

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the response.

I had already verified notification settings before posting this question. 
"Email me for approval changes that affect me" box is checked but still emails are not sent.

Steps followed during testing
Added user X as approver. User X is not part of team but holds RTC account. "Email me for approval changes that affect me" box is checked under mail configuration of User X.
2. No email was sent to User X.

Karthik Krishnan commented Jan 23 '14, 10:42 a.m.
In addition to above comment, I am attaching the image since Sanjeev is unable to attach in the forums

Karthik Krishnan commented Jan 23 '14, 10:43 a.m. | edited Jan 23 '14, 10:43 a.m.

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Jan 23 '14, 2:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

It seems odd that e-mail notifications would not be sent for users outside of the team.  You may want to file a defect.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.