It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Duration between saving work item and email to subscribers

Sterling Bates (2311612) | asked Jan 20 '14, 10:19 a.m.
In the process of using automation to track work items, I frequently run into the concern that too many updates can generate a lot of useless email traffic.  It eventually obscures the genuine traffic that devs and testers are looking for.

I have code to suppress and resume email notifications to users, but I don't know how long I need to wait between saving the work item and resuming notifications.  The question then is two-fold:
  1. Are emails sent sufficiently quickly that I can anticipate the timeframe, or is it an asynchronous operation and depends on server performane?
  2. Is there support for, or a plan to support, a value when saving a work item to suppress the email update?

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jan 20 '14, 10:43 a.m.

I think the mail is generated immediately.. it is not sent until the server cycle time.
ccm, advanced properties
com.ibm.team.workitem.service.internal.save.notify.ChangeEventMailNotifier

600 seconds default.
never seen an enhancement to disable notifications during send

2 answers

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Jan 20 '14, 10:42 a.m.
edited Jan 20 '14, 10:43 a.m.
I'm sure the folks from the development team can give you a more detailed answer, but from observation, the request to the mail server to send a notification are sent when the WI is saved, but there is no telling when exactly the mail server will decide to actually send the email.

There is an enhancement open that you mention in point 2, but it is backlogged:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=294078
You can assign yourself as a subscriber to the enhancement and comment on it to show your interest.

Comments
Sterling Bates commented Jan 20 '14, 10:54 a.m.

Thanks Piotr, though that enhancement is for duplicate emails.  The two that cover what I want are these:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=51337

and

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=201016

Thanks for reminding me to search work items, though both are on the backlog, and I doubt the RTC team would prioritize those for backporting.

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Jan 20 '14, 10:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

re : 1.  the frequency at which the work item changes are notified is controlled by a task.
It can be reached from Application Advanced Properties > Work Item Component >
Mail Notification Send Interval (seconds)

A periodic task runs on the server that sends mail notification for work item changes. This property specifies the time in seconds between runs of this task.

Default is 600 seconds, so every 10 mins this task runs to send the update on all queued up changes on work items.

re: 2.  controlling email update at the work item level would be an enhancement, to my knowledge
but
have you explored the Email Configuration page from individual users profile

It provides flexibility to the individual users on what they want to be notified about. 
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m3/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_configuring_notifications_web.html
Mail Configuration from Users Profile

hope it helps

Comments
Sterling Bates commented Jan 20 '14, 10:57 a.m.

I actually do have code in place to modify the mail config for all users that would be notified by a work item change, the problem is knowing how long to wait before re-enabling the notification.  10 minutes is a long time, though Sam is suggesting the email is generated immediately and simply sits on the queue for up to that 10 minute duration.

Dinesh Kumar B commented Jan 20 '14, 11:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

to my understanding, the event sits in the queue, the task looks at the mail configuration just when the schedule time is up and then constructs the mail notifications according to the latest mail configuration while sending... as stated this is my understanding and I might be wrong as well..

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.