It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error while installing RTC client for Visual Studio

Roopa Venu (578) | asked Jan 16 '14, 6:52 a.m.
edited Jan 16 '14, 8:54 a.m. by Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103)

Hi,

I get the following error message :

please close the following applications before uninstalling Rational Team Concert Client for Microsoft Visual Studio IDE:Devenv.exe

The version of CLM installed is 4.0.4 . There are no earlier versions of RTC client installed.

Help needed to uninstall and install the client.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Jan 16 '14, 7:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Roopa,
That is a strange error.  Have you tried closing Devenv and then starting the install again?
Roopa Venu selected this answer as the correct answer

4 other answers

permanent link
Stephanie Bagot (2.1k1513) | answered Jan 16 '14, 12:53 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You mentioned "please close the following applications before uninstalling". It looks like you are trying to uninstall the RTC client instead of install it.

permanent link
Priyadarshini Gorur (3313) | answered Jan 17 '14, 5:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Roopa, I saw that this was a typo in the Install Manager prerequisites check page. Submitted https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/298255

permanent link
michael entler (171226) | answered May 15 '14, 7:47 p.m.
edited May 15 '14, 7:48 p.m.

I am getting the same error. I check Taskmanager and that exe is not running. I'm even able to cut devenv.exe and move it (so it's not being accessed).

I started Visual Studio, and then shut it down (when it was running I did see this exe in taskmanager).

I'm on a VDI. This is my first time logging into it, and I didn't run anything other than IM.

Resolution: I think another person under a  different profile left Visual Studio running, and when I logged in there is perhaps a lock file that is generated that IM sees?

I had the system forcibly reset through a remote reboot command (The only options I had were logging out, andjust logging out and logging in did nothing for me).

I was then able to complete the installation after the forced reboot.

This was RTC 3.0.1.6 Visual Studio Plugin for use with Visual studio 2005 and 2010 FYI.

permanent link
Sanket Jain (1) | answered May 19 '14, 8:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The typo in IM prerequisites check page message is fixed in 406 and when installing/uninstalling the VS client one has to be sure that the user has admin privileges and devenv is not running (by any user)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.