It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Should I use "Copy Work Item" or "Extract Work Item From Selected Text"?

Jamie Schena (531521) | asked Jan 15 '14, 1:51 p.m.
 Hello,

I make the same type of work item each month using the same general fields every time. The only things that are changed are a few words in the summary and a few words in the description. In order to make the process of creating the work item more efficient, I would like to simply duplicate all of the FIELDS of one work item. If I use the "Extract work item from selected text" option, I can't copy both the summary and the description. This is fixed by using the "Copy Work Item" function, however, I am not able to delete the link between the two items. With the extracted items, I can just removed the relation between the two. When I copy, there is always that link of "copied from work item..." I am afraid that people will think that my newly created item is just copy or duplicate of the old one. I only want to create an item with the same fields, summary, and description. I guess my question is: which do you think is better for my situation?

Let me know if this needs clarification :) 
Thank you!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Henning Sternkicker (40626) | answered Jan 16 '14, 5:05 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
What about creating a work item template for the work item you want to create regularly? Like a copy of the work item it should have all the fields in it. The advantage of work item templates is, that you are able to create a whole bunch of work items at once and that you are able to create a hierarchy of work items at once. If you want you can make the instantiation of the work item in that way, that you are forced to select the iteration and category when you want to make the work item.
To create a work item template use the Eclipse editor. Create a Query that shows you the work item that you want to have as a template, select them all and then from the context menu select "Create work item template".
Jamie Schena selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jamie Schena commented Jan 16 '14, 11:22 a.m.

This would be a great fix. Unfortunately, I do not have the permissions to create templates.

Thank you for your input!!

Jamie Schena commented Feb 03 '14, 10:46 a.m.

I am now able to create templates and your suggestion is working perfectly. Thank you!

2 other answers

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Jan 15 '14, 5:49 p.m.
I would recommend creating it programmatically then.  Anytime you copy you get the link and I don't know of any way to remove it. 

If it were me, I would create a little java program (I happen to use the java APIs) that I could run and it would create what I needed. 

Susan

Comments
Jamie Schena commented Jan 16 '14, 11:23 a.m.

I will have to brush up on my java and see what I can do! 

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 16 '14, 4:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I've created work item Allow deleting the "copied-from" work item relationship (298029) ... I agree that there are times when the copied-from relationship will just be misleading.  Feel free to add a comment to indicate your interest/support.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.