It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

unable to open local file uri in RQM text editor

Fabian Engels (811) | asked Jan 15 '14, 1:23 p.m.
Hello jazz community,

I'm currently migrating tests to Rational Quality Manager (RQM).
I would like to excute test scripts and also do manual actions (semiautomatic).
Since this is not possible, because the test script type in RQM can either be manual or automatic,
I would like to reference some batch files to start local test scripts.

As text uri I used file:///D:\readme.txt in the editor, but when I try to open this link during the test execution nothing happens.
When I copy the link the adress in FireFox or Internet Explorer into the address bar it works.

So, I would like to know why my link does not work in the rendered RQM site by normal mouse click.

Greetings,
Fabian

Accepted answer

permanent link
Vaibhav Srivastava (2861) | answered Jan 21 '14, 1:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Fabian

Thanks for posting your query. There is a solution to mix automated and manual steps in a single script. This is achieved via the use of Keywords. You can read about Keywords here Using keywords in manual tests and Creating keyword-enabled manual test scripts
Essentially, you could create a script say Script S which has a Keyword Kw. The Keyword K will in-turn point to a manual or automated script say Kw_S. When you run Script S, the manual steps of the script will have to be executed via a tester manually however if the Keyword's script Kw_S is an automated script, the automated script will be executed. Do note, that these are executed sequentially here ie. one the first step completes, the next step is executed.
As you had asked above, you could very well use rational functional tester to achieve this.

Hope this helps !

Fabian Engels selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Fabian Engels commented Jan 21 '14, 5:25 a.m.

Thank you,

I will look into this!

One other answer

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Jan 16 '14, 6:54 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Since RQM is a client/server application, link access to local files is not supported.  Alternatively, see http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_create_reference_external_adapter.html or attach the readme.txt file to a manual test script.

Comments
Fabian Engels commented Jan 20 '14, 5:02 a.m.

Thank you for your answer.
I hoped there is a solution to mix manual and automatic test steps directly in RQM.
We use a semi automated ruby test suite, which is run while the tester performs manual operations. The test suite is locally executed on test pcs. I wanted to launch these tests as an test script step and then continue with more manual operations.

I can't attach these files to the tests because they are under version control in UCM ClearCase and then mounted on the test systems as dynamic or snapshot view.

Would test execution through rational functional tester solve this issue?

Greetings,
Fabian

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.