It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there any way to know what client versions are connecting to RTC?

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked Jan 14 '14, 9:10 a.m.
We would like to find out the client versions are being used to connect to our RTC/JTS server (specifically to get a list of 3.0.x Eclipse users).  Is this possible?

Also, we are looking for any configuration/parameter to allow us to set a MINIMUM client version of 4.0.0.0 to keep people from using 3.0.x clients.  Our work items are starting to use 4.0.x features (like the operational behavior for read only for type and state) and the 3.0.x clients would not understand these features.

Susan

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sumant Renukarya (1.1k23339) | answered Jan 14 '14, 9:20 a.m.
 Hi Susan

--> There isn't a way to find out the client versions being used to connect to RTC/JTS server as far as I know. 

--> Here is a way to rather restrict older versions of Eclipse clients, trying to connect to a newer version of RTC server:

The administrator can restrict the versions of Eclipse clients that can connect to the RTC server using the following steps:

Login to CCM application as Admin; Go to Advanced Properties:

Here look for this particular service

'com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.VersionCompatibilityRestService'.

Hover on 'Version compatibility mode and Version mismatch URI' to get the details and check/edit the values.

Essentially by changing the value of Version Compatibility Mode from NORMAL to STRICT, the clients using older versions of RTC will not be able to connect to the new upgraded version of RTC. It will throw and error to the clients and hence they will need to upgrade.

Susan Hanson selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Susan Hanson commented Jan 14 '14, 9:23 a.m.

One follow-on
- if I change this to STRICT, does this restrict the lower-level Eclipse clients AND things like java programs using the Java APIs?

Sumant Renukarya commented Jan 14 '14, 9:26 a.m.

Yes; It does restrict the lower-level Eclipse clients to connect to the higher-version of the RTC server; However, I am not sure on the Java programs using the Java API's

sam detweiler commented Jan 23 '14, 11:50 a.m.

Yes.  the eclipse client uses the normal client apis.  

Susan Hanson commented Feb 04 '14, 6:37 a.m.

Follow-on ... how strict is "STRICT"?  Is it a release or down to the fix pack level?  For example, if I set this  to STRICT does this mean that if my server is 4.0.0.1, that ONLY the 4.0.0.1 client will work? or will 4.0.0.0 or 4.0.0.1?  When we migrate to 4.0.5, will everybody HAVE to update their 4.0.0.1 client to 4.0.5?

Susan

Sumant Renukarya commented Feb 04 '14, 7:21 a.m.
Susan

Good follow up question. STRICT is very strict :)..

For example, you migrate to 4.0.5, set the STRICT setting, then only 4.0.5 clients can connect to this 4.0.5 server and not even the 4.0.0.1 clients. I just tested this.

I hope this helps. 

Sumant Renukarya commented Feb 04 '14, 7:23 a.m.

Susan

Good follow up question. STRICT is very strict :)..

For example, you migrate to 4.0.5, set the STRICT setting, then only 4.0.5 clients can connect to this 4.0.5 server and not even the 4.0.0.1 clients. I just tested this.

I hope this helps.

Phillip Piper commented Mar 13 '14, 11:08 a.m.

Sumant, one last question...

I see STRICT is very strict but does this only limit back level client versions? What happens if someone tries to use a 4.0.6 client with a 4.0.5 server? 

Sumant Renukarya commented Mar 13 '14, 11:18 a.m.

Philip 

It will not work, uness the client and the server are on the same exact versions.

strict supports only n (server) = n (client) versions.

sam detweiler commented Mar 13 '14, 11:26 a.m.

Phillip, 

standard support is no uplevel client can talk to a downlevel server (4.0.6 to 4.0.5 server)

this strict control is the reverse.. downlevel client to uplevel server

showing 5 of 9 show 4 more comments

One other answer

permanent link
Alex Fitzpatrick (5583816) | answered Jan 23 '14, 11:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can get a list connections grouped by client version, but user identity is not tracked.

To determine the client load by version counters can be accessed on a server via: 
https://<hostname>/jazz/service/com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.counters.ICounterContentService
or 
https://<hostname>/ccm/service/com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.counters.ICounterContentService 
or
https://<hostname>/jts/service/com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.counters.ICounterContentService 

etc.

Comments
Susan Hanson commented Jan 23 '14, 6:35 p.m.

Yea, I had gotten that far and it shows 3 logins from a 3.0 client and around 2,000 logins from 3.0.1 clients.  I need to know "who" to go nag about moving up :-)

Susan

long TRUONG commented Mar 11 '15, 9:55 p.m.
Could we read into this that "connections" are either hostnames or IP addresses of hosts tied to the tracked version of the Eclipse clients accessing the RTC server ?

If so How do we get hold of these lists of hotsnames or IP addresses tied to each Eclipse client version ? 

sam detweiler commented Mar 11 '15, 11:26 p.m.

Unfortunately there is no way to tie the two together..

using your web server you can collect the IP addresses of the connecting clients,
but you cannot see the data in the packets to tell what the api means.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.