It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

High latency WAN scenarios?

Les Jones (12621) | asked Sep 13 '07, 12:48 p.m.
The fact that Jazz is a distributed development effort (8 locations?) and that you are self hosting is a great test for the tool and shows that it can work for a real development team. What I'm wondering though is whether you've done any work on network monitoring within your environment or on other non-functional test environments?

Specifically, WAN network links between geographically distributed teams tend to have lower bandwidth, higher latency and higher risk of packet loss. IBM Rational's approach to this in the past has been the use of ClearCase/ClearQuest multi-site, which we've found to be incredibly effective even on reasonably poor networks.

The approach that TeamConcert/Jazz is taking is one of a single server; and although I appreciate that the team server can be deployed on WebSphere, that's not going to help with poor network scenarios. Therefore, I was wondering if you've been doing any work to be able to provide guidance on typical network characteristics that would be required to run a Jazz based collaborative environment. Benchmarks from your own networks would be a great starting point and other recommendations for typical development teams would be a great follow up.

To put this into perspective, if the Jazz teams have 10 Mbit connectivity and 50ms latency then you're an order of magnitude better than those of us restricted to a Megabit and 500 ms latency at best between teams.

13 answers

permanent link
Les Jones (12621) | answered Sep 17 '07, 12:11 p.m.
bhiggins wrote:
"Thanks for the helpful information - we're investigating."

Errrm... not sure if you changed anything, but I've managed to raise it now. I set exactly the same fields as before, when it failed, but this time it worked. Hopefully you changed something ;-)

The enhancement raised is 31220 (https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz%20Project#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=31220). Bill, I have set you as the owner; hopefully that was correct?

permanent link
Dirk Baeumer (4811) | answered Sep 19 '07, 3:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Leslie,

the Zurich Lab is connected via a 2MBit/s connection to the IBM net. I
can't say anything about the latency so.

I am working form home quite often as well and there I am connected
via adsl with 3.5 MBit/s download and 300kbit/s upload.

Dirk

lesojones wrote:
Further to this, I've stumbled across this blog entry
(http://www-03.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/BillHiggins?tag=jazz)
by Bill Higgins. In it he states that performance issues relating to
the high latency WAN connectivity between the team in Zurich and the
server in Raleigh, NC have been resolved.

It'd be great to understand the characteristics of the Zurich/Raleigh
link to see how appropriately it maps to other cross-continent
links.

I will raise this as an RFE if that's more appropriate, but I'm not
asking for an enhancement as such (at this time), merely
clarification of the environment in which the distributed Jazz
development are successfully working.

permanent link
Corville Allen (511) | answered Jan 18 '08, 12:54 p.m.
Any more metric information around on connections and how the Jazz server works with people in Asia Pacific to US based server?

Thanks,
Corville.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.