It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Components confusion

Matt Dempsey (122) | asked Jan 08 '14, 3:41 p.m.
 Hello,

I'm relatively new to Jazz and I'm having a hard time grasping what a component is.  Can somebody give me a simple explanation with an example or two?  And why would you need more than one component?  I work on a small team of 3 and we have one vb.net solution with 5 projects.  This solution was added to the default component, but I'm not sure what a component's use is.

Thanks for the help!

Comments
Matt Dempsey commented Jan 09 '14, 2:13 p.m. | edited Jan 15 '14, 5:05 a.m.

Thank  you everyone for your answers.  They are helpful.  Does anyone have an example of real world situation where you would have more than one component in a stream?

3 answers

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Jan 08 '14, 4:54 p.m.
edited Jan 08 '14, 4:54 p.m.
In RTC Components serve at least 2 purposes

1. To group related files/folders
  2. Some access controls
It seems that each Stream/Workspace must contain at least 1 Component. I've also read that the Component is the ultimate target of RTC Delivery activity.

Comments
Henning Sternkicker commented Jan 09 '14, 9:40 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Access control is one important thing about components, but the other is reuse across RTC-streams. As a stream is representing the "development area" of a team, you can share common parts of different projects with components. Components have the concepts of Baselines, with a Baseline you can identify a complete configuration of files in that component. That is important for reusing components and their content across streams (i.e. teams).

permanent link
Sumant Renukarya (1.1k23339) | answered Jan 09 '14, 2:48 a.m.
 Hello Mark

Components represent a logical group of features under a stream. You can have multiple streams representing modules and each stream can have multiple components.

Adding to Kevin, you might want to refer the details on components here:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m4/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/c_streams.html&scope=null

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m4/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.concert.dotnet.doc/topics/t_creating_a_stream.html&scope=null

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 15 '14, 5:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As Kevin indicated, one reason is access control.
Suppose you want read access to one set of files restricted to one set of users, but a different set of files should have read access restricted to a different set of users.   The easiest way to achieve this in RTC is by putting the two sets of files into different components.
Another reason is independent baselining.   Suppose that you want to adjust your configuration in your stream/workspace so that you see a different configuration of one set of files, but not change the configuration of another set of files.  The easiest way to achieve this in RTC is by putting the two sets of files into different components.  You can then select a different baseline of the one set of files, without affecting the configuration you are using of the other set of files.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.