It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Generating Test Plan document from RQM including Table of Tables using RPE

Amit Kravzov (1351616) | asked Jan 05 '14, 2:41 p.m.
Hi all,
Inside RQM rich text editor there is an option to add a table. One of the advanced table properties is Caption.
When using this option the caption is placed on top of the table.

Once generating it using RPE the caption is placed at the bottom of the table in the following format: 
<#> <caption-name>
So, In case there are 2 tables with captions: Caption1, Caption2 
the generated word document will have: '1 Caption1' near table 1 and '2 Caption2' near table 2.

My problem is that I'm also adding Table of Tables in RPE which is looking for the following format:   
Table <#> <caption-name>
For the reason that RQM does not add the word 'Table' before the caption #, I get an empty Table of Tables.

I did a test and tried to manually add 'Table' before # on top of the generated word document and then it appeared in the Table of Tables.

Does anyone know how to add the 'Table' prefix in RQM\RPE? Is that a defect?

Thanks,
Amit.

3 answers

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k15) | answered Jan 08 '14, 6:47 a.m.
edited Jan 08 '14, 6:49 a.m.
If you want to append "Table" prefix, you can use Script Expression in RPE along with a JavaScript function.

But this is not required as even without the text "Table" in table caption, the table of tables looks good.

Comments
Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Jan 08 '14, 6:48 a.m.

Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Jan 08 '14, 6:51 a.m.

This is from the sample RPE Word output for RQM. To know more about TOT element in RPE, visit RPE InfoCenter

permanent link
Dragos Cojocari (211) | answered Jan 08 '14, 7:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hey Amit,

as Prasad mentioned you can create Tables of Tables in Word that do not require the Table or any specific label to be present in the caption, but instead they rely on the paragraph style. See the attached tableCaptionlessTOTExample.doc and examine the field code use for the TOT. I think Prasad's example was using the same technique, but Prasad please correct me if I'm wrong.

The same  behavior can be replicated in RPE. See the attached testTableCaption template and the Word output produced by RPE from it ( with fields updated in Word). So for the problem at hand you could try using a TOT ( Table of Table) field that is based on paragraph style instead of label. I do not have an RQM instance at hand to test so I cannot guarantee 100% you won't need some additional changes in the template.

All the files mentioned above are available here: tableCaptionWithoutLabel.zip

Regards,
    Dragos

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k15) | answered Jan 08 '14, 7:29 a.m.
edited Jan 08 '14, 7:30 a.m.
Which version of Word are you using? I see the issue when Word 2007 is used. With Word 2003 and 2010, I see table of tables coming correctly.
The PDF output looks good.

Comments
Abish Mathew Zachariah commented Jan 09 '14, 1:55 a.m.

There is an issue with Word 2007 where it cannot handle Table of figures or Table of tables if the figure/table number comesĀ  ahead of label. Please see the below technote:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21645887

This is not needed for Word 2003

Best Regards
Abish M Zachariah

Amit Kravzov commented Jan 12 '14, 6:07 a.m.

Indeed this is the case, I'm using Word 2007 as this is the common version in my organization, unfortunately I can not choose a different version.

Of course, I prefer not to use this workaround due to large number of tables in the document. Is it considered a defect? would IBM address it in future version?

I would like to further ask about those captions. I'm able to add caption to tableĀ in RQM but I couldn't find a way to do so with figures in RQM. Therefor, although I'm using Table of Figures in RPE I get "Error! No table of figures entries found" for the figures. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Amit.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.