It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Disable Save button of a work item

Luiz Almeida (23015489) | asked Jan 03 '14, 3:14 p.m.
Hi all,

Is there a way to disable the save button of a work item when the user logged in has not permission to change the status of the work item?

Thanks,

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 03 '14, 4:13 p.m.
 No. The RTC permissions are checked on save. Not in the UI operation
Luiz Almeida selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Jan 03 '14, 7:06 p.m.
Is there by chance a known enhancement to handle things prior to clicking the save button to improve the usability?  For example, if I am logged into a user that does NOT have permissions to create a work item of a certain type, instead of letting me get the work item into the editor, spend time filling in all of the fields and then clicking the Save button only to get an error saying "you can't create that work item type" ....

1) perhaps the list of work item types that I see in my UI should ONLY contain those that I have permission to create (this may be difficult because it could depend on what team area it is filed against)
2) once in the editor, maybe put an error up that says "Within the specified team area, you do not have permission to save this work item" and disable the save button until the work item type + team area is a combination that I actually *could* save
3) Disable/not allow changes to attributes if I don't have permission to save the changed value

Susan

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jan 03 '14, 7:14 p.m. | edited Jan 03 '14, 7:27 p.m.

I am not aware of anyone modifying the product to deliver the UI experience you mention.  I agree 100% with the changes u suggest. I'm all for preventing people from doing ANY work if it might not be successful.

but you would have to modify the product, you cannot subclass the behavior and change how it works.

I have done some of these kinds of modifications to support a new linktype which should only allow specific end types. see workitem 106162. But it is product source modification, and is/has been/will be impacted by product code changes in subsequent releases.

sam detweiler commented Jan 04 '14, 8:55 a.m.

the text of the workitem above in comment is wrong, but the link is good.. unfortunately edit function times out.. (dumb).. the text should read wi 160162

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.