It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 4.0.5 zOS ISPF client - why is build log displaying as unreadable characters

Donald Poulin (2249119107) | asked Jan 03 '14, 7:06 a.m.
Just completed a build of a COBOL program using the ISPF client. The COBOL output from the build displays correctly but the build log looks like this -- How do I get it to display correctly.

********************************* Top of Data **********************************
ã?Í>À./.ÍËÁÊ.ÊÁÉÍÁËÈ.Ã?Ê.ÂÍÑ%À.ÀÁÃÑ>ÑÈÑ?>.êê( ä. ÅÑ%Á.èÁËÈ.&Ê?¦ÁÄÈ.ÂÍÑ%À..ëÍÂËÈÑ
!Å?< Å,.ÌÂÏ...ëáè..ÊÁø?ËÑÈ?Ê` ÀÀÊÁËË...ÇÈÈøË......................ÄÄ_...ëáè..ÈÁ/
.ËÄ_.ÃÁÈÄÇàÁËÈÑ>/ÈÑ?>..Í.¦/::.Â%ÀÏÊ,. ÅÑ%ÁèÁËÈ.àÁÎ..á+î.ÈÁ/_.Á>ÈÁÊøÊÑËÁ.ËÄ_.Ñ>Ä%
ÂÍÑ%ÀË`ËÈÁ_.ÂÍÑ%ÀÈ??%,ÑÈ./>È.Ä?>ÈÊÑÂ.¦/Ê..>ÁÈ.ËÃ./>ÈÄ?>ÈÊÑÂ./>È%ÑÂ.Ì_%....ä%/ËË.
/_.ÃÑ%ÁË`ËÈÁ_.Ä%ÑÁ>È.À/Á_?>.>%.^......Î.............¦/Ê..ÍËÊ.%øø.¦/::.Î......ÂÍÑ
øÊ?¦ÁÄÈ.øÊ?øÁÊÈ`..ÈÁ/_.Á>ÈÁÊøÊÑËÁ.ÀÁøÁ>ÀÁ>Ä`â/ËÁ%Ñ>Á</ËÈ(?ÀÑÃÑÁÀ....ãÊÑ.....¢/>.
::.Î......ÂÍÑ%ÀË`ËÈÁ_.ÂÍÑ%ÀÈ??%,ÑÈ.Ä?_.ÑÂ_.ÈÁ/_.ÃÑ%ÁË`ËÈÁ_.Ä?__?>.>%.^......Î...
..............................................................$/>È:._ÎËÁÌÁÄ)....

One answer

permanent link
Liam Doherty (2312) | answered Jan 06 '14, 9:32 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 06 '14, 9:39 a.m.
You seem to be in the Build log display for the ISPF Client. Are you using the RTC ISPF Client to view the logs? When you view the log do you get the Edit Entry panel - BLZUEDIT panel displayed? If you do, do you have the ASCII data selected with a "/"? The build logs are in ASCII so need to be viewed through the ISPF ASCII option. If you do not see that edit entry panel go into the Options menu bar option through option 3 - Edit and allow the display of this panel through the use of the Data Set and z/OS Unix Options... by deselected the bypass.

Comments
Donald Poulin commented Jan 06 '14, 10:13 a.m.

Yes - I am in the Build log display for the ISPF client and yes in the Edit Entry panel display the ASCII option is selected.
I see the full path for the logfile and so tried to go back to Option 3 (Edit) and select the unix path and used the full path for the build log but I got an error that the file did not exist.
So what are the exact steps to follow to be able to display a build log via the ISPF client?

Liam Doherty commented Jan 07 '14, 3:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes we create a temporary file, so it will only exist while you are viewing it. What you can do is go into view on the log file and get the file name. Then split screen and go to 3.17 and then do a view and see if you can read the file.

What version of RTC ISPF Client are you using?

Liam Doherty commented Jan 07 '14, 3:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sorry, just seen the v4.0.5 in the title.

Liam Doherty commented Jan 07 '14, 4:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you start your RTC client like this:
ex 'JAZZ00.V4R0M5F0.SBLZEXEC(blz)' 'JAZZ00.V4R0M5F0 enu tracei(blzedit)'

Notice the trace option. Log on, Go to builds and view the log then log out of the client. The trace file will be sent to a data set called <userid>.RTC.TRACE. Email that to me at dohertl@au1.ibm.com.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.