It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

the way of sending "Jazz Item" on Item Connector f

Ken Kumagai (64) | asked Mar 05 '09, 6:15 a.m.
Hi members !

I'm trying to connect two "JazzTalk" repositories (calls "repoA", "repoB") on two machines by using ItemConnector framework.
but I have trouble in sending one "Message" in "repoA" to "repoB".

JazzTalk: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/JazzTalkWalkthrough
ItemConnector: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ItemConnectorCreation

I made a sample code which implements 7 steps at ItemConnector Client API,
(https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ItemConnectorCreation#Item_Connector_Client_API),
but corresponding "Message" isn't created in "repoB" after the sample finished with no error...

My concern is when "Jazz Item" is created about ItemConnector framework.
"External Proxy" has a link to "Jazz Item" as well as External Object,
but there is no description about followings.

- When is a link of "Jazz Item" (correspond to External Object) set to External Proxy ?
- When is the "Jazz Item" created at all?
- Is the "Jazz Item" created manually (means we have to implement code for creating and saving "Jazz Item")
or automatically (means synchronization process creates it background, and no implementation is needed)?

Does anyone have ideas ?

Thanks.

Ken

3 answers

permanent link
John Vasta (2.6k15) | answered Mar 05 '09, 1:31 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Currently, the Item Connector Framework does not support what you're trying to do. It only supports synchronizing work items and their associated items (Attachment, Category, and Contributor) with analogous objects in some external, non-Jazz system. You would have to do a lot more than just use the framework; you would have to extend the framework itself. And that's really beyond the scope of what we're prepared to help you with.

John
Jazz ClearQuest Connector Team

Thanks, John !

Yes, my real goal is to create a Jazz-to-non Jazz connector.
This example is the first step and now I focus on sending data to Jazz Repository (incoming direction).

And I'd like to use these 2 options at Jazz Repository side.

- the originally defined storage model as Jazz Repository (such as "JazzTalk")
- the originally defined Jazz Item (such as "Message", not predefined WorkItem)

At Item Connector Client API page,
I found the creating and finding way of ExternalProxy, ExternalState, SyncRule items,
but did not find that of Jazz Item (being connected to External Object).
I think corresponding Jazz Item should be newly created and saved in Jazz Repository when an External Object is newly created.
How is this realized ?

In that page, synchronization process (application of the external properties to a Jazz item)runs after saving ExternalState item,
so do I need to customize or implement synchronization process?

Thanks again.

Ken

permanent link
Ken Kumagai (64) | answered Mar 05 '09, 10:53 a.m.
Thanks, John !

Yes, my real goal is to create a Jazz-to-non Jazz connector.
This example is the first step and now I focus on sending data to Jazz Repository (incoming direction).

And I'd like to use these 2 options at Jazz Repository side.

- the originally defined storage model as Jazz Repository (such as "JazzTalk")
- the originally defined Jazz Item (such as "Message", not predefined WorkItem)

At Item Connector Client API page,
I found the creating and finding way of ExternalProxy, ExternalState, SyncRule items,
but did not find that of Jazz Item (being connected to External Object).
I think corresponding Jazz Item should be newly created and saved in Jazz Repository when an External Object is newly created.
How is this realized ?

In that page, synchronization process (application of the external properties to a Jazz item)runs after saving ExternalState item,
so do I need to customize or implement synchronization process?

Thanks again.

Ken

permanent link
John Vasta (2.6k15) | answered Mar 05 '09, 9:20 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ken,

It sounds like you're trying to use the Item Connector Framework to create a Jazz-to-Jazz connector. It wasn't designed to support that, so I'm not sure what sort of problems you're going to run into. It was designed to support connecting Jazz items (specifically, work items) to non-Jazz systems (that hold objects like work items, such as bug reports).

When you create a connector from Jazz to some other system, you need to implement the code that creates objects in the other system. If the other system is also Jazz, then you won't get that for free.

Hope this helps,
John
Jazz ClearQuest Connector Team

Hi members !

I'm trying to connect two "JazzTalk" repositories (calls "repoA", "repoB") on two machines by using ItemConnector framework.
but I have trouble in sending one "Message" in "repoA" to "repoB".

JazzTalk: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/JazzTalkWalkthrough
ItemConnector: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ItemConnectorCreation

I made a sample code which implements 7 steps at ItemConnector Client API,
(https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ItemConnectorCreation#Item_Connector_Client_API),
but corresponding "Message" isn't created in "repoB" after the sample finished with no error...

My concern is when "Jazz Item" is created about ItemConnector framework.
"External Proxy" has a link to "Jazz Item" as well as External Object,
but there is no description about followings.

- When is a link of "Jazz Item" (correspond to External Object) set to External Proxy ?
- When is the "Jazz Item" created at all?
- Is the "Jazz Item" created manually (means we have to implement code for creating and saving "Jazz Item")
or automatically (means synchronization process creates it background, and no implementation is needed)?

Does anyone have ideas ?

Thanks.

Ken

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.