It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Console.log in Java extension?

Dave Evans (14812646) | asked Dec 30 '13, 6:33 p.m.

Greetings,

When "developing" javascripts within RTC, I find the console.log method to be very handy. What is the best "printf" method of debugging I can use from within an extension? I have a working Operation Advisor, but am now adding functionality to it and a piece is not working properly and I'd rather just use prints than debugging with Jetty at this point.

Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | answered Dec 31 '13, 1:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can use below statements to get the Log instance which will log the statements you want in ccm,log.

import org.apache.commons.logging.Log;
import com.ibm.team.repository.common.LogFactory;
private static final Log fLog= LogFactory.getLog("<Logger.Name>");

You can use fLog.debug  to this instead of sysout.
You can control the log level from the log4j.properties in server\conf\ccm
log4j.logger.<Logger.Name>=debug
Dave Evans selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Dave Evans (14812646) | answered Dec 30 '13, 6:36 p.m.
P.S. I can use the collector for now, but I was just wondering if there was an eaier method to use such as a message box or just writing to the error log.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Dec 30 '13, 8:12 p.m.

I use System.out.println and watch the server console (windows command prompt).

funny, I'd rather debug than watch the print output.

Dave Evans commented Jan 02 '14, 11:41 a.m. | edited Jan 02 '14, 11:42 a.m.

I'd rather debug than watch print out, too...but I've never developed anything in Java before and I didn't bother to get debugging working since it wasn't trivial. I am certain I will get to that point soon though! But I got my first extension (Operation Advisor) working nicely: An owner can't approve their own work items.

sam detweiler commented Jan 02 '14, 12:25 p.m.

I just start my normal server in debug mode.  then connect from Eclipse to a Remote app.

debug both client and server at the same time.  only case where I can't do this is when I develop a jazz client side plugin, ten I need to start another eclipse locally in debug mode.

just add one line to the server.startup.bat as the last JAVA_OPTS line

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=3388

then the remote app port is 3388

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.