It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Changing user authentication from tomcat to ldap

Don Max (241330) | asked Dec 23 '13, 6:08 a.m.
i have done my jts setup using express setup. now i need to use  ldap for user management..i have installed one ldap server and tried changing some settings in Advanced settings.But its not working. Where all i need to change the settings? i am able to browse my ldap server using softera.
while running repotool -SyncUser getting below error

The Jazz server is configured to use 'tomcat' user directory. User sy
nchronization is not supported by the configured user directory.

2 answers

permanent link
Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | answered Dec 27 '13, 8:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you can, reinstalling is probably the easiest method. Setup creates and configures a number of files for you.
If you can't re-install it can be configured manually using the following information in the information center.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m3/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_manually_config_tomcat_ldap.html&scope=null

permanent link
Sumant Renukarya (1.1k23339) | answered Dec 23 '13, 7:30 a.m.
 Hi Joe

You should have run a custom set-up than the express set-up to provide the LDAP details/parameters while running jts setup. 

Now that you already have completed the jts setup, you need to login to jts/admin page, go to advanced properties, search for 'LDAPUserRegistryProvider' and update the parameters for LDAP as mentioned in the following link:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/c_plan_identity_management.html&scope=null

Comments
Sumant Renukarya commented Dec 23 '13, 8:25 a.m.
Joe

My bad..Did not see the fact that you have indeed made changes in the Advanced properties section.

Is the below property set to False? If you use external LDAP, I believe this needs to be set to false:

com.ibm.team.repository.service.jts.internal.userregistry.tomcat.TomcatUserRegistryProvider 

Can you verify and retry? 

Don Max commented Dec 24 '13, 12:37 a.m.

Hi Sumant,

Thanks for the reply.

I changed the above mentioned value to false.still getting the below error. i tried restarting server also. which property sets default user registry?

CRJAZ1389E The Jazz server is configured to use 'tomcat' user directory. User sy
nchronization is not supported by the configured user directory.

Sumant Renukarya commented Dec 24 '13, 4:13 a.m.

Well, I did run into issues when trying to change from Tomcat user database to LDAP sometime ago. Since you have run express set-up, I believe it does not even let you re-run jts set-up again and to switch to custom set-up. 

In my case then, I uninstalled and re-installed JTS and did re-run the jts set-up selecting custom set-up. That worked. 

While I agree this is not a good approach, if it's feasible in your case and urgent you can try this. 

Otherwise, I am looking to see what else files needs to be modified other than the ones in Advanced properties. 

Sumant Renukarya commented Dec 27 '13, 7:13 a.m.

If you haven't tried uninstalling and re-installing, you can try this: 

1. Re-run jts/setp and select custom setup this time;
2. Go to 'setup User Registry' section; Here change from Tomcat user database to LDAP; Provide the details of your LDAP; 
3. Click on Save Tomcat Config Files; 
4. Then you will have to restart the Jazz Team Server and place these Tomcat Config Files in a specific location. Then the setup will be complete. 

Please note, I haven't tried these complete steps yet (Have tried only till step 3) and was advised by one of my co-workers that these would be the steps.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.