It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Jazz Team Server shuts down every night.

sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | asked Dec 17 '13, 4:11 p.m.
 We have a Dev system setup for our user sandbox. Running on Windows 2008 R2. 4gig vm, OOtB 4.0.4 setup. 

runs all day long, no issues.. sometime overnight tomcat shuts down.  last thing we see is an out of memory error.

the users are in Europe,. so by the time our dev staff arrives in the US, they have lost most of their day. 
we have tried to set this thing up as  a windows service, but can't get it to come up. 

the doc between 4.0.4 and 4.0.6 seems to have changed. 

Is there any update to the doc in 4.0,4, or anyone have any experience here.  weird for me.. as all my test systems run all day long every day for months without issue (but I don't use 2008 server), real OS or VM. 

Comments
Rosa Naranjo commented Dec 17 '13, 5:28 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

sam
what do you mean by "the doc between 4.0.4 and 4.0.6 seems to have changed"? With respect to what exactly? Are you looking for instructions for running tomcat as a windows server for 4.0.4?

sam detweiler commented Dec 17 '13, 5:48 p.m.

yes, the doc that describes how to run as a service has changed between 4.0.4 and 4.0.6 

2 answers

permanent link
Gaurav Tapadkar (2713) | answered Dec 18 '13, 12:17 p.m.

I am trying to set Jazz as a windows service and configured the same as per the instructions provided on IBM site

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.install.doc%2Ftopics%2Fm_s_server_installation_start_tomcat.html 

I am getting below error. I have log4j.properties file present in the /jazzinstallation/server/conf/rm/ but still it it complaining about missing file.

RRC [Start Level Event Dispatcher] ERROR bm.rdm.fronting.server.bootstrap.RRSAppInitializer  - CRRRS9750E  The log4j.properties configuration file cannot be found for this context: rm.

Any suggestions?

Comments
sam detweiler commented Dec 18 '13, 9:23 p.m.

We think we are past this error, had to create the log4j.prop file for some reason.

we will see tonight if the server stays up

Gaurav Tapadkar commented Dec 19 '13, 11:07 a.m.

We did not face any issues with server going down tonight. Somehow JTS was not reading log4j.properties file for RM while starting jazz as a windows service even though path to log4j startup properties file was configured properly in startup. As Sam mentioned, issue was fixed by recreating log4.j properties file in the same folder.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Dec 17 '13, 6:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Sam

I would first try and track down why you are getting out of memory errors before you start trying to set this up as a service.  4 gig for any Windows server seems a little low. Check your server startup settings so that you allocate at most 50% of your actual machine (or virtual machine) memory to the JVM.

However, once you have uncovered and fixed that problem - the service settings need you to be very specific about any configuration info you put in the .conf files.  I recall some of the default settings (like logging) use relative paths - not a good idea when you make the CLM/Jazz server a service. This could explain the ssl cert errors (can't find the cert perhaps)?

anthony

Comments
sam detweiler commented Dec 17 '13, 7:39 p.m.

thanks, will review again tomorrow.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.