It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

copy project across server

sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | asked Dec 12 '13, 5:53 p.m.
 I know, this is not supported, but such is the way of life. I have to move a team from 3.0.1.3 on the 10 user license to our corp infrastructure.. workitems, plans, source, process config.. 

I exported the process template for the source server project, installed in on the alternate server, and then created a project from it.   

all the plan structures were created (YEH!).. but the dates we not set (boo!).. 
I am not looking forward to this!. anyone have any fixemup tools? I lost all the cool ones I had at my prior job. 

One answer

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Dec 16 '13, 8:30 a.m.
Hello,

the fact that this is 3.0.1.3 does not help. What I would recommend is the following:
1. upgrade to version 4 (which supports server rename)
2. copy the entire repository to a the new server (make a DB backup and restore on a new DB server)
3. on the new server, perform a server rename so the public uri of CLM matches the name of the new server
4. on the old server, archive the project to be moved
5. on the new server, archive all the other projects
Please note that server rename has it's own limitations (for example regarding integrations).
I believe this entire procedure will keep both of the environments supported.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Dec 16 '13, 9:17 a.m.

if only I could do that. The production infrastructure has projects already in place, and the so the old repository cannot replace it. 

so, I am stuck in between.  and, unfortunately, there are other groups who have setup their own private infrastructure where we will have to repeat this to assimilate them onto the production landscape.

Piotr Aniola commented Dec 16 '13, 9:44 a.m.

not my favourite answer, but there is an enhancement request to allow moving a project across repositories:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=87778
Unfortunately, not implemented yet.

What you can do is to export the workitems to CSV and import them to a new server (loosing history, attachments, discussions, etc).
Secondly, you can move the source control using distributed repositories.
Beyond that, I believe you can only recreate data by hand, or write your own custom software to move the data using the Plain Java Client.

sam detweiler commented Dec 16 '13, 9:57 a.m. | edited Dec 16 '13, 9:59 a.m.

thanks.. I knew that was the answer..  its the other stuff.. teams, plans, iterations, ...

source is moving now using DSCM.. workitems seem reasonable..
to make them productive, I have to move all the rest of the info too.
the bad news is I have to do it twice.. as I can't upgrade their existing system, and can't connect with one client to the two systems at the same time due to the version mismatch.. ugh

Geoffrey Clemm commented Dec 16 '13, 4:51 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Also, note that "server rename" does not help when trying to move a single project area from one server to another.  In particular, suppose there are any links between the project area being moved and the project area not being moved.  A given repository has exactly one alias at a given time for a given repository URL.   So in the non-moved project areas, the alias would continue to point to the original repository, and all references to information in the moved project area would continue to point to the archived copy of that information.   And in the moved project  areas, the alias would point to the new repository, so any references to the non-moved project areas would be forwarded to the new repository, and not find the artifacts there.

sam detweiler commented Dec 16 '13, 5:15 p.m.

right. Piotr's hopeful suggestion assumed full server conversion in place..  

wonderful should it happen.. never seen it!..

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.