It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How is Release Planning Load calculated at RTC 4.0.5

Kunal Doddanavar (45222632) | asked Dec 11 '13, 6:38 a.m.
Hi,
      I want to analyse planning calculation in RTC and hence wish to know how is Release Planning Load calculated at RTC 4.0.5.

Therefore, I defined an iteration in the future with only 3 days duration. In the Project Area are no Team Members defined. Creating a Release Plan with no WorkItems associated shows me a load of 3.25 hrs. After adding a team Member with 5 * 8 hrs working capacity the plan load is calculated to 51.25 hrs. 

Can you please explain the calculation concepts used by RTC?

Regards,
Kunal

Comments
Sharoon Shetty Kuriyala commented Dec 12 '13, 12:39 p.m. | edited Dec 13 '13, 12:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Kunal,

What is the process template you are using? Is it out of box scrum/traditional or a custom template?

Thanks,
Sharoon

Aradhya K commented Dec 12 '13, 7:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

There will be some user who is currently creating the plan.

You need to be a member and have sufficient permissions to create a plan.
Hence I feel the 3.25 days is for that user.
Can you group the plan by user and check the load on each user.
You cannot check the load of users from the release plan you might have to create the phase plan.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sharoon Shetty Kuriyala (55133) | answered Dec 12 '13, 9:57 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The article https://jazz.net/library/article/586 explains the concepts of progress bars and load bars. I tried the scenario mentioned:
- Create a project using the OOTB Scrum template.
- Create an iteration defined in the future with only 3 days duration (please note not just the date but also the time for the iteration start and end date).
- Create a Release plan for the project for the above iteration.
>> When there are no users in the projects the load bar in the release plan shows 0/0
>> When a user with default work environment is added to the project it shows 0/24 as expected.

To answer your question on the parameters that is used to calculate the load bars:
- Iteration start/end dates
- User work environment which includes:
    * Work days
    * Work allocations
- Scheduled absences during the iteration duration
- Work items estimates/timespent etc

Can you provide more details of the work environment for the user added to the project?
Kunal Doddanavar selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Kunal Doddanavar (45222632) | answered Dec 19 '13, 6:12 a.m.

Hi Sharoon,

Thanks for the responses.

I am able to see the expected results [no offsets or extra load even if no user is added] only if I build a new project  from scratch.

The same is not true for the the migrated project which is a project created with version 4.0.1 and
migrated to 4.0.2, 4.0.3 and now to 4.0.5.

I checked backlog. It is empty. All workItems created are all for same iteration planned. I still see some load added even if no users are added .

Can you kindly explain how to correct this ?

Regards,
Kuna

Comments
Sharoon Shetty Kuriyala commented Dec 19 '13, 9:25 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Kunal,

It looks to be an issue with migration scenario which needs to be investigated. I recommend you open a PMR, the IBM support team will investigate and analyze if this is a genuine problem with the tool or a problem with the data.

Additionally, on the plan which has no users and you are seeing some load, can you group the plan by owner and check if it shows any load?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.