It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error uploading file: CRJAZ6053E The 'Save Attachment' operation cannot be completed.

Ryan Martin (2111) | asked Dec 10 '13, 2:21 p.m.
We're getting the above message, including "Permission is required to complete the operation." when trying to save an attachment onto a work item in CCM 4.0.5. I've checked the licenses, no apparent problem there. I've reviewed the users' roles (Developer & Analyst) and verified that they have permission to create, modify, remove, and delete attachments on work items. They were forbidden to create attachments without a work item in context. When I grant permission to those roles to Save/Modify/Delete Attachment (without work item context) the attachment to work items begins working with no permission error.

Why might the permissions for no-context attachments be being applied to attachment operations in work item context?

One answer

permanent link
Kot T. (1.5k11219) | answered Dec 11 '13, 1:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Ryan,

Could you provide more details on how you configure your project area to forbid to create attachments without a work item context?

Comments
Ryan Martin commented Dec 11 '13, 2:08 p.m.

It's the default configuration in the Formal Project Management Process template when creating a Lifecycle Project. The predefined roles "Developer" and "Analyst" have permission granted to Work Items->Save Work Item->Modify the work item->Modify the work item's links->Modify the work item's attachments->*. They do not have permission for Work Items->Save Attachment, or its children ->Delete Attachment or ->Modify Attachment. 

The tooltip text on permission Work Items->Save Attachment reads: "The Save Attachment operation is executed whenever an attachment is saved in the repository without a work item in context."

I took this to mean that this permission only applies when an attachment is saved without a linked work item. However, it seems to apply to all saving of attachments through the web interface, even when the attachment is requested for a specific work item through the "Links" tab on its web page. I have not tried to save attachments through other interfaces, e.g. the RTC Eclipse plugin. 

Kot T. commented Dec 11 '13, 3:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ryan, thanks for the clarification. I wonder if this is something specific to how the project is created. In 4.0.5, I have a project created from the Formal Project Management Process template which the default settings as you described: Save attachment is OFF for all roles, but Modify the work item's links -> Modify the work item's attachements is checked for the process role that I am assigned with on this project. I am able to add and save attachment in a work item.

I haven't tried to create a formal project from a LPA project.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.