It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Rational Team Concert and Git

Christophe Grosjean (1123) | asked Dec 02 '13, 11:27 a.m.
retagged Dec 16 '13, 11:41 a.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
 Hi,

If we use Git with RTC (via the RTC Git Adapter), are the functionality of RTC fully operational?
In other words, do we loose some parts of the RTC functionality using Git compared to its embedded SCM ?

Thx
Christophe

Comments
Anbarasu Arivoli commented Jun 01 '15, 5:45 a.m. | edited Jun 01 '15, 5:45 a.m.

Hi,

I think, after reading some online documents about Git. I could see one difference which is more significant w.r.t GIT is on Branching and merging.

I am not sure though how far GIT is good in maintaining the history whereas I see RTC history on source code should still be improved compared to clearcase.

Thanks
Anbu

One answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Dec 02 '13, 4:22 p.m.
edited Dec 02 '13, 4:24 p.m.
Hi Christophe,
Git has a different architecture than SCM. There are components, workspaces and streams while for GIT you might use submodules at last. Also for RTC it is easier to manage repository permissions (private or scope workspaces with limited visibility). I don't want to go into the discussion which scm is better (BTW IMO Git is really good scm), but I hope you understand the difference here.

Except that, I am not sure if you can display and create any reports regarding scm activity.

Let us know if my answer helps you.

Comments
Christophe Grosjean commented Dec 03 '13, 7:56 a.m. | edited Dec 13 '13, 7:44 p.m.

Hi, 

Thanks for your answer.

In case of Git selected, does it mean that the Eclipse RTC client is useless?

Does it also impact the usage of the Rational Team Build?

Christophe

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Dec 03 '13, 9:46 a.m. | edited Dec 13 '13, 7:44 p.m.

Hi Christophe,
Answers on your questions:

Q1. In case of Git selected, does it mean that the Eclipse RTC client is useless?
A1. - not nescessary. RTC client has administration and work items support. Especially the workitems capability would be useful for developers.

Q2. Does it also impact the usage of the Rational Team Build?
A2. To be honest - I do not know that. Please ask separate question to give an opportunity to answer it by another engineer.

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 01 '15, 5:51 a.m. | edited Jun 01 '15, 5:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The JBE does not have a configuration to load the SCM data from GIT as far as I know. You would have to get the code in the build using a commandline. You won't have personal builds, I guess, since that relies on repository workspace. I am not sure if the build result would show the change sets in the build etc. You would have to check for that.

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 01 '15, 5:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am also not sure if the compare between baselines in GIT would provide you with the same seamless user experience.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.