It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to extend RTC workitem UI with a custom modal dialog

Aliaksei Gizheuski (23610) | asked Nov 28 '13, 7:20 a.m.
Is it possible to add a button on work item editor, so that on clicking it a custom dialog shows up, where user can make some search actions and on dialog closing a selected value goes back to a field on work item editor?

Comments
Vikash Singh commented Mar 05 '15, 6:59 a.m. | edited Apr 30 '15, 1:22 p.m.

Hi Aliaksei,

Did you got the solution for adding the button? Similar problem I have been also facing.

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 28 '13, 8:03 a.m.
sadly no. You cannot extend an existing Workitem UI.
you CAN create a whole NEW attribute and implement your UI there (within limits).
See
contributing attribute presentations

Comments
Aliaksei Gizheuski commented Nov 28 '13, 10:33 a.m.

Hi Sam, thanks for answer. It might be a possible solution.

Let's imagine that my custom attribute is a GUID, represented by a string type.
Can I leave a default presentation for an Eclipse client and just implement my own presentation for a web UI?

sam detweiler commented Nov 28 '13, 10:44 a.m. | edited Nov 28 '13, 11:06 a.m.

you must implement some UI for all clients.   there is no 'default' UI.

you 'might' be able to copy the code for the base string type for the Eclipse presentation and implement something else for the web UI.
(I did this for another custom type, I had not yet implemented the web component).

the bad news for Eclipse is that u have to install the UI plugin in every client (ugh) that might see a workitem with you attribute in it.

and there are limits on what the data storage for the attribute can do. (ie you cannot makeup a new storage type currently)

Aliaksei Gizheuski commented Nov 29 '13, 8:20 a.m.

what if I just skip implementation of Eclipse GUI - should a web browser client work anyways?
I don't know much about storage types. Can I use some predefined ones(strings) to guarantee that everything would be saved as expected.

sam detweiler commented Nov 29 '13, 8:24 a.m.

sure... of course it won't work with the eclipse client. I think there are enough exception handlers to keep eclipse running..

you would HAVE to use some pre-existing storage type.  my only comment is that things like dates stored in strings just add more work..

Aliaksei Gizheuski commented Nov 29 '13, 10:09 a.m.

thanks, sam!

permanent link
Denis Maliarevich (47712) | answered Dec 18 '13, 10:49 a.m.
sam detweiler, I've added only web ui part (com.ibm.team.workitem.example.web.zip) from the article contributing attribute presentations to RTC, but this plugin hasn't started. What could be the problem? Can you help me.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Dec 18 '13, 11:05 a.m.

can u look at the ccm/log on the server (this is a server only plugin) and see if there are any reported issues? 

Denis Maliarevich commented Dec 18 '13, 12:23 p.m.

I've found the problem: i renamed the eclipse project but didn't change names in plugin.xml. With default values it started well.
But I cannot select custom editor for "isStarred" custom attribute in Editor Presentations.
In eclipse plugin in this tutorial there was an additional parameter in extention point in plugin.xml:
<attributeType id="boolean">
the plugin.xml for WebUI doesn't have this declaration. Maybe it's the problem?

sam detweiler commented Dec 18 '13, 9:26 p.m.

sorry, I don't know the answer to this. I am not very experienced with the web ui extensions.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.