It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Preventing ppl from changing Work items owned by others

Ketan Divecha (261812) | asked Nov 23 '13, 7:06 p.m.
Is there a way to set work item permissions to prevent developers from changing attributes of Work items owned by other developers without taking away their ability to change their own work items ?

Thank you
ketan

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 24 '13, 7:34 a.m.

Not out of the box. you would have to write an Advisor extension that checks owner vs current user to prevent save.
because you cannot manipulate the user record in JavaScript, you will have to write this Advisor in Java.

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 24 '13, 12:30 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This functionality is requested in Add special "owner" and "creator" roles, that specifies what the "owner" and "creator" respectively of an object can do to the object (88779)
Please feel free to add a comment indicating your interest/support.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 24 '13, 12:34 p.m.

But that is SO old (2009), as to be invalid anymore.

Ketan Divecha commented Nov 24 '13, 1:21 p.m.

I was thinking more along the lines of adding a pre-condition under save work item (operation behavior) that checks for owner for the ppl in development role. Also, I dont want to allow developers to re-assign work  item owners, how would I do that.

sam detweiler commented Nov 24 '13, 4:17 p.m.

exactly what I said, an advisor (precondition) (under save workitem operation behavior) extension

because you cannot manipulate contributor and roles in javascript, this precondition will have to be in Java

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 24 '13, 5:02 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

An enhancement request is never invalidated just because it is old ... it just means that it needs more customer support before it is implemented.  For example, we are beginning work on work item 2127, created Jan 2006.

sam detweiler commented Nov 24 '13, 5:11 p.m.

I understand. in a prior company we got 10,000 ERs a year.. but could only create product content for around 1000.. using that math, you get a big backlog that will never ever be addressed.

eventually you have to admit you will never get to a lot of the backlog.

Ketan Divecha commented Nov 24 '13, 6:15 p.m. | edited Nov 24 '13, 6:19 p.m.

Thanks sam,

Geoff, can you guys please add that pre-condition so ppl dont have to code that, it sounds like an easy thing to implement instead of creating new roles, its an important pre-condition to have for real world projects i.e. ppl other than scrum master or proj admin should not be allowed to change other ppl's work items (except discussion) or even change the ownership of work items, even if they currently own a work item, they should not have the authority to assign it to someone else. 

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.