It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to best Share business rules across projects

Josephine Crawford (535) | asked Nov 19 '13, 10:48 p.m.
edited Nov 22 '13, 2:03 p.m. by Douglas Bush (28125)

I'm working in an environment where each RRC project relates to an actual work project.

Some of those projects create artefacts of a type 'business rule'  which are currently stored within the folder structure for the work project.

Obviously Business rules don't necessarily pertain to just one project they pertain to the wider business and may be relevant for many projects.

Please can anyone point me to oneline RRC documentation or advise me on the best way of structuring our work assets so the business rules can be seen centrally as if we had a single central repository.

We're a new deployment of RRC,  in fact just thinking about rolling it out now and I'm a very new user - so sorry if this is a dumb question,  I am still rather dumb wrt RRC.

2 answers

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Dec 05 '13, 8:04 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If it helps, you can also consider the following:

1)  You can create project templates easily that include artifacts.  If you create a project from a template that has the business rules defined, those new projects will contain the same business rules artifacts.  The drawback of this is that if your business rules change, you need to keep updating the projects and master template

2)  You can embed artifacts from other projects.  If you have a project containing your business rules, you can embed those business rules in artifacts from other projects.  If the artifact changes in the source project, you will see the same change reflected in any artifacts that have the rule embedded.

Hope it helps,

permanent link
Douglas Bush (28125) | answered Nov 22 '13, 2:00 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Greetings,
My understanding is that it is not possible at this time to reuse a common-source artifact in multiple projects.
This is discussed in this related Forum post: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/123123/reuse-artifacts-across-projects

But you can copy an artifact from one project to another using ReqIF export and import.
Take a look here:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m4/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/r_reqif_format.html

I hope this helps.
- Doug

Comments
Josephine Crawford commented Dec 05 '13, 7:51 p.m.

Thank you Doug,  I appreciate your help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.