It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Restrict linking to work items not in your Project Area

David Beange (111356100) | asked Nov 19 '13, 11:27 a.m.
edited Nov 19 '13, 11:38 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645)
Hi

RTC v4.0.2

Is it possible to restrict the ability to create a link to a work item that is not in your own Project Area.
For Example
Working in Project Area A creating a new Work Item. In the text the wording includes "task 1" but this then creates a hotspot mention to a to Work Item 1 which is actually in Project Area B which is an unrelated PA and for security reasons may not want others accessing their work items

Is there a behaviour setting that can be activated for this or some other setting to prevent this.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 19 '13, 11:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
David, as far as I can tell, the only way to do this would be to create an advisor, this is a server extension that would run on save of a work item and would look at the data of the work item and prevent the save from happening if there is a violation. Examples for this kind of extension are the Required Properties advisor/precondition. Start here if you wna to know how to do something like this: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/setting-up-rational-team-concert-for-api-development/

Most of the code on that blog is for participants that run after the save, however, as described here: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/restrict-delivery-of-changesets-to-workitem-types-advisordelivery-of-changesets-associated-to-wrong-work-item-types-advisor/ there are only small differences between them, mainly the extension point, and the abstract class to extend, so you can grab most of the code from the examples.

Comments
David Beange commented Nov 20 '13, 3:56 a.m.

Thanks Ralph, unfortunately not the answer i was hoping for :-( The project Areas are on a shared server and we are unable to load any server side extensions. Would the "access control" setting of the PA be able to be used? Is it worth me raising a defect / enhancement request on this as I see it does the same in v4.0.4 also

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 20 '13, 4:18 a.m.

The Access control would only forbid users to see items that are in project areas that they don't have access to. If users need to be able to access multiple project areas and write to them, I don't think it would help. I'd rise an enhancement request. I think a general advisor with a work item query that the target work item would have to conform to would do the trick. We have something similar for delivering changes to SCM.

Kevin Ramer commented Nov 20 '13, 8:21 a.m. | edited Nov 20 '13, 8:23 a.m.

Isn't this the "Mentions" functionality ?  I've seen several RFE to allow the reduction of that per-project-wise.

Well at least 1 work item:

https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/156307

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 20 '13, 8:23 a.m.

I don't think my answer had anything to do with "mentions" on work items.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.