It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I run JRuby scripts using the RTC Java client API?

Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | asked Nov 16 '13, 5:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 16 '13, 6:31 a.m.
Is it possible to use JRuby (or other JVM-based scripting languages) to run scripts against RTC, using its Java client API?  Are there any examples showing how?

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 16 '13, 8:26 a.m.
very cool.. working to move a couple of my client apps over now. I missed Innovate this year.

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Nov 16 '13, 6:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 16 '13, 6:24 a.m.
Yes.  I've started a wiki topic for this: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/JRubyScripting

"JRuby is an implementation of the Ruby programming language (and libraries), running on top of the Java runtime. It also makes it easy to call existing Java code, in a way that's idiomatic to Ruby. As an interpreted, dynamically typed language, it's easy to try things out and to iterate quickly, with quite concise code."

The examples there are Build-centric at the moment, but the same approach could be used for scripting other components in RTC / Jazz Foundation.

A similar approach could be taken with other JVM-based scripting languages, e.g. Groovy, Jython.
I'm considering switching these scripts to Groovy, since it's more "native" / common in the Java world (even though I personally quite like [J]Ruby).

Comments
Nick Edgar commented Nov 16 '13, 6:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I gave a lightning talk on this at Innovate 2013.  The BuildEnginesAndDefinitions.rb script is a slightly tweaked version of the one I walked through then.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.