It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Turn off Jazz SCM components?

Christian Höltje (5810) | asked Nov 13 '13, 2:36 p.m.
retagged Dec 16 '13, 5:38 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
 Is there a way to turn of Components and make Jazz SCM act like a Stream == Component?

As near as I can tell, Components is an anti-feature -- they make everything more confusing, offer no real advantage, and yet have lots of disadvantages.

We're trying to move to 1-stream has only 1-component, but it is nearly impossible to do this sanely and preserve history.  If we never had components to begin with, this wouldn't be an issue.

Ciao!

One answer

permanent link
Marek Siekierski (817510) | answered Nov 13 '13, 2:52 p.m.
Hi Christian,

As far as I know, there is no way to 'turn off' the component feature. You can achieve a 1-stream and 1-component configuration by removing the permission to create new components for your users.

Comments
Tim Mok commented Nov 13 '13, 3:43 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'm not sure what kinds of problems Christian has with component history but Marek's suggestion would effectively achieve "turning off" components. Keep one component in the stream and put everything in that component.

I'm not sure what the worry is about preserving history and some more information would help clear up this issue.

The reason multiple components exist is to allow parts of your project to have their own history and exist independently from other components. If you have team 1 that doesn't depend on team 2's work but team 2 depends on team 1, multiple components allows team 1 to work without being distracted by team 2's deliveries. They don't even have to load team 2's work and their work flow is simpler by loading just their own component.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.