It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can users be blocked from seeing Application Administration pages in RTC?

Tim Fuller (471328) | asked Nov 13 '13, 11:19 a.m.
edited Apr 09 '16, 1:41 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)

Users in jazzUsers group can still see the Application Adminitration pages (Overview, Timelines, Roles, etc.) even though they cannot save edits in the WebUI. They can see all the user list, role assignements, and even see the "Manage This Project Area" from the top right dropdown menu.  I'd rather they not be able to see these pages at all.  I can't seem to find any permissions that would limit access to seeing the App Admin pages. 

Is this expected behavior or did I miss something? 

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 11 '16, 2:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have seen that it is sometimes necessary for users to be able to see the information e.g. about roles and other process information.

Any user can easily enough navigate away from the pages e.g. using the home button. Since they can't break anything due to permissions the training effort to tell them to stay away from the admin pages and to not try to change things there should be around 1 minute.

You can create an enhancement request, but there are probably a lot more pressing enhancements to implement.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 11 '16, 10:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I agree with Ralph ... there are times when normal users want/need to see that information, and since it is write protected, it is best to make that information available rather than allowing system administrators to mistakenly hide it.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 13 '13, 12:17 p.m.
Most of the security in RTC is to prevent saves.  most times everyone can SEE everything. I'm not aware of any ability to restrict seeing admin config.

Comments
Tim Fuller commented Nov 14 '13, 3:47 p.m. | edited Apr 09 '16, 1:42 p.m.

That's been my experience so far as well.

It sure would be nice to not have to teach new users to "avoid" those pages saying something like "yes, you can see it, but don't try anything...you don't have permission."  Really increases the training time for new users.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.