It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to create a new query based on an existing one?

Jay Witherspoon (1368) | asked Nov 13 '13, 11:04 a.m.
edited Jul 27 '15, 8:35 a.m. by Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738)
It seems like a common scenario would be to use the results of an existing query and add conditions to that.  So, instead of starting with a condition, I start with a shared query, then add conditions.

So, why would this be a good thing?  Lets say I want a group of queries dealing with serviceability work items.  The first report may be all serviceability items which may have several conditions to locate them.  Now I want to create other reports that are subsets of the report.  For example, all unresolved.  Ideally I would somehow indicate start with my serviceability query (not re-enter all the conditions) and just add the condition for status unresolved.

This is not just being lazy by not having to code up the serviceability query each time...  The criteria or conditions that determine serviceability items may change.  If I have to duplicate that code in every serviceability report variation, I will have to update every query that is based on those conditions.

So, is there a way to define a query that starts with the name of an existing query or invokes an existing query?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Nov 14 '13, 3:50 a.m.
edited Jul 27 '15, 8:16 a.m.
In IBM Rational Team Concert (RTC), you can open any predefined query, then click Edit Query in the upper right-hand corner (the pencil icon), edit it and save as copy. This way you will have both original and modified query, without having to manually add all the conditions of the original query to the new one.

The possibly unwanted effect of this procedure is once the original query is modified, the modification does not apply automatically to the derived queries. In this case I can recommend that you open an Enhancement on jazz.net.
Jay Witherspoon selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Chris Gray (2143) | answered Apr 10 '14, 1:38 p.m.
The feature would be valuable to use an existing query as a sub-query / component within another via inheritance would be VERY valuable and gets my vote.

permanent link
Sterling Bates (2311612) | answered Jun 30 '14, 4:28 p.m.
Sorry to comment on such an old post, but I couldn't find any existing enhancements requesting this so I opened a new one:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=322544

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.