It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migrate/Export from RTC/Jazz SCM 3 to TFS

Jeff Walker (111) | asked Nov 11 '13, 11:46 a.m.
My enterprise is moving from RTC/Jazz version 3 alm/scm to TFS 2013. I'm having a hard time finding any information regarding exporting or migrating from RTC. I'm wanting to have minimal loss of version history for my large projects. I know that this is a hard road, even if it is possible, but I'm looking for options right now.

I'm considering moving directly from RTC to TFS.
I'm also considering moving to an intermediate format like SVN or something like that.
There is a lot of integration that I would like to keep like linking from code to work items and such, but they are lower priority than preserving version history.

We don't always have control over buying decisions, so I would think that this is something that people would want to do from time to time. Some have said to import a snapshot and keep RTC around for reference, but they are unwilling to maintain licensing for RTC after migration.

Thanks.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 11 '13, 4:30 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I would suggest asking Microsoft, if they provide an import feature. 

2 answers

permanent link
Georg Kellner (840378109) | answered Nov 12 '13, 6:15 a.m.
Hi Jeff,
it is unusual that a tool itself provides export capabilities.
As Ralph mentioned, "the other" tool may provide import tools.

My experience regarding version history and migration to other systems in general:
Have a look for the needed baselines in the "old" system, and do only a migration of this.
This means a lot of history loss of course, but it's hard to keep everything.

In my opinion it's a decision of the management, how much money they want to spend for the migration.
Take all the history - very expensive
Take several baselines - moderate costs
Take current baseline - cheapest

And have a look at your license agreements.
I know the old license agreements: You are allowed to use the version of the tool, you've paid the license fee and maintenance as long as you want to, but without any support, without any chance for upgrades.
So if you've paid for 3.0 you can keep it for research and reference for several years.
But if you are using tokens, this isn't possible afaik.

greetings georg.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 12 '13, 6:22 a.m.

And you can use the 10 free developer if it is only for looking at work items and SCM.

Georg Kellner commented Nov 12 '13, 6:52 a.m.

Isn't it only for Derby database?

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 12 '13, 6:55 a.m.

No, the 10 free works with any database. There are some limitations on the enterprise capabilities. 10 free are valid licenses. You can find the details on the download page way down at the end: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/4.0.4

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 11 '13, 1:34 p.m.
I don't know of any generally available tools or best practices to export OUT of RTC

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.