It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Dates fields show different date in field, History and exports than what is uploaded

Pradnya Raste (351524) | asked Nov 06 '13, 7:16 a.m.

Hi,

I keep getting a question from RTC users about the challenges associated with Dates in RTC.

The challenge is as follows. Say i want to upload 1st October 2014 as date in RTC. my server is located at US. I am in india.

Now when I upload this date

1. the work item on web client shows "1st oct 2014"
  2. History of work item shows 3oth Sep 2014
  3. Export also shows 30 sep 2014

I understand that because of timezone difference between india and server at US it is happening but when history and export is showing 30th sep why work item at front end is showing "1st Oct"? this should also show the value which is gone to database i.e. 30 sep.

Do we have any explanation for this? please share.

2 answers

permanent link
Sumant Renukarya (1.1k23339) | answered Nov 07 '13, 4:16 a.m.
Hi Pradnya

--> When you say you upload this date, do you mean the work item creation date displayed in the GUI?

--> What version of RTC is being used here? 

--> Is this the behavior seen for all work item types? And in both web client and Eclipse client?

--> I just did a quick check on this in RTC 4.0.4:

a. There was this work item I had created in India time and worked with one of the developers located in Canada.
b. There was an update on this WI yesterday i.e. 06th Nov 2013, 08:16:37 PM (India time) for me. This is the time reflected at my end on the WI. 
c. Even the History on the WI showed the last update/change time as 06th Nov 2013, 08:16:37.

e. Out of curiosity, I asked the developer to open this same WI and see the last update. For him it showed as Nov 6, 2013, 09:46:37 AM. 
This is the time showed in the history as well as the Work Item for the developer located in Canada. 

So what the history and the work item displays depends on which location you are accessing the WI and the system clock. 

--> While I do not have a suitable explanation, the work item front end will show the time with respect to the local time zones/system clock.
I believe it is the NTP server being used which calculates and displays time based on system clock, irrespective of the location of the database or the RTC server. 

permanent link
Marie Michelin (14317) | answered Apr 14 '15, 8:39 a.m.
Hi,

I have the same problem : my RTC server is located in France and when I create (from France) a work item for example at 12:00, it shows 12:00 in creation date and in the history.
But if a colleague in UK looks at this work item, creation date is 11:00 (that is normal) but in the history it is still 12:00.

I tried to see if there is a problem with the NTP server, but it does not seem to.

Does anyone has an explanation or a solution for that ?

Thank you for your help,
Regards

Marie

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.