It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

If I am working with two CCM applications in the same JTS do they create different WI with the same ID?

paulo lacerda (3311414) | asked Nov 06 '13, 4:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 I'm planning to use two ccm applications (example: ccm1 and ccm2), registered in the same JTS server. Will I have the same WI IDs in the two applications for different work items? For example, will it be possible to have a WI 100 in ccm1 and a different WI in ccm1 with the same ID (100)?

Another question. When I create a new Project Area in this deployment/topology, do I have to inform in which ccm it will be created or the Jazz will choose one of them?

Thank you.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 06 '13, 9:13 a.m.

yes, each CCM has its own number manager, and they both start at 1. so, there will be different workitems with the same 'ID'

paulo lacerda commented Nov 07 '13, 11:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

So my understanding is that if I use a topology with two CCMs I'll probably have two different WIs with the same id in both CCMs. In order to allow users reference/search WIs (defects, CRs) by ID and don't let them confused because of that behaviour,is it possible to enforce unique ids across CCMs? If not, is there any recommendation to minimize this issue?

sam detweiler commented Nov 07 '13, 11:35 a.m.

you cannot set the starting number on a CCM, they both start with 1.

the best practice is don't talk about the number.

you cannot search multiple CCMs at once.. and really only one project, unless you use a reporting system (RRDI, Insight or other), so you will never see the more than one of an ID in the same query.
( we had a 5 CCM topology.. fun)

One answer

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Nov 06 '13, 6:50 a.m.
The workitem ID will not be duplicated across different project areas.
Also, when creating a project area, you will be able/required to decide which CCM application will this PA be in.

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented Nov 06 '13, 8:29 a.m.

Said another way:  Work item ID are unique within the RTC repository.  So, it is 100% probability that same work item ID will eventually be used in any RTC repository.

paulo lacerda commented Nov 07 '13, 11:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

So my understanding is that if I use a topology with two CCMs I'll probably have two different WIs with the same id in both CCMs. In order to allow users reference/search WIs (defects, CRs) by ID and don't let them confused because of that behaviour,is it possible to enforce unique ids across CCMs? If not, is there any recommendation to minimize this issue? 

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 07 '13, 11:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

No, there is no way to avoid that, that I would be aware of. If you wanted to avoid that, the performance impact would also be considerable, however the URL's of the work items are unique and the number is unique in each project area, too.

Piotr Aniola commented Nov 08 '13, 4:34 a.m.

As far as search is concerned, there is no way to query multiple project areas anyway, so there is no potential for confusion here.

sam detweiler commented Nov 08 '13, 8:44 a.m.

not DURING the query, correct.. 

But later we could be talking, and using the same ID, but be talking about different content.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.