It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why are Rational/Jazz installation files so massive?

Ian Giblett (2621316) | asked Nov 05 '13, 12:51 p.m.
 Hello,

The CLM solution download from Jazz.net is 1.83 Gigabytes. A fairly massive download but I suppose it does contain JTS, CCM, QM and RM.

The Design Manager Server download is 2.41 Gigabytes which is bigger than the entire CLM suite and its only role is to make available models that have been created in Rhapsody and Simulink; you can't even create models in DM. (As far as I know.)

By comparison, the Rhapsody 8.0 installation folder for windows is only just over 1 Gigabyte. How can a web service which allows DM to run on JTS be more than twice the size of a the thick client?

Finally, there is the Rational Design Manager clients download. This is a whopping 3.4 Gigabytes.
As far as I understand, the Rational DM client is just an adapter which allows Rhapsody to send models to Design Manager. This client adapter is bigger than Rhapsody and the DM server combined.

I'm really curious as to why all this software needs to be so huge as I've spent many hours waiting for IBM software to download in my workplace. We download at roughly 50Kbits/sec.
(I know you can do the web only download which is still 600 Mega Bytes but I often find that the installation times out half way through and I have to restart everything. Downloading the installation files in their entirety is the only method that works.)

Many thanks,

Ian

Comments
Gustavo Reis commented Nov 06 '13, 9:52 a.m.
I also had trouble donwloading the installation files. 

What resolved to me was to use a manager (DownloadThemAll in Firefox). It also increased the download speed. 

3 answers

permanent link
Ian Giblett (2621316) | answered Nov 06 '13, 12:15 p.m.
I will try a download manager next time.

But still, why are these files so massive?
They seem unnecessarily huge. 

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Nov 06 '13, 10:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The files are big - you should use a Download manager to grab Installation Manager, and then grab the repository (again via a Download Manager).

permanent link
Lara Ziosi (33811112) | answered Nov 07 '13, 3:13 a.m.
The DM download also contains all of CLM, but the reverse is not true, i.e. if you download CLM you do not get DM inside it.
If you think this is very problematic, you could open a Request For Enhancement to change the packaging of DM so that it does not include CLM.

Comments
Karl Weinert commented Nov 07 '13, 7:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

This seems to be the answer.
"The DM download also contains all of CLM"
It also comes with couple versions of the eclipse clients.

The CLM download includes the installation media for all the server install options as well as multiple operating systems. I'm assuming the same is true for the CLM files that are included in the DM download.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.