It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[SOLVED] Extending "Required Attributes For Type and State" Advisor

Joao Bosco Jares A. Chaves (324813) | asked Nov 04 '13, 4:04 p.m.
edited Nov 05 '13, 12:03 p.m.
 Hi jazz team,

I have a curious issue, related to advisor process configuration. I do not know if the approach is correct, but the case is I can not use an advisor twice on the operations grid. So, where I have "Every One" on the grid I am configuring the "Required Attributes For Type and State" advisor, but because I need some specialized configurations of the same advisor I am reusing it on the next column of the grid. In summary, my requirement is configure similar things for two roles, where the first one is "Every one (default)" and the other is "X". So, after configure "Required Attributes For Type and State" advisor for both, others advisors stop and can I not run the other advisors. But if I remove one of the "Required Attributes For Type and State" advisor, for the one of the two columns, all the others advisors back to run again.

For first I imagine that I can not have the same advisor configured twice. Based this, I think that if I can extend the "Required Attributes For Type and State" advisor, to stop advisor replication. But I want to extends the "Required Attributes For Type and State" advisor to reuse your configuration tab, just for it.

So, How can I extends this "Required Attributes For Type and State" advisor, to reuse your configuration tab; And it can solve the problem, if not how can I solve it with another approach? 

Obs.: I am using server side api.

Best regards.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 04 '13, 8:35 p.m. | edited Nov 04 '13, 9:06 p.m.

Unfortunately, the product provided advisors are not 'extendable'. You could extract the source and build your own version with your unique identifiers.  (I have done this). 

Extending the UI/aspect editor is another challenge. 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 05 '13, 2:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Joao,

please have a look at https://jazz.net/library/article/292 how behavior is supposed to work.

If you configure operational behavior for several roles, the operational behavior first found is used. There is no "Inheritance" mechanism. The purpose is to be able to configure different behaviors for different roles. E.g. the "ComponentOwner" role could be able to deliver, while other roles need an approval. So, if you configure another role in the grid, that effectively overrides the behavior for this operation for this role.
Joao Bosco Jares A. Chaves selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Joao Bosco Jares A. Chaves (324813) | answered Nov 08 '13, 12:51 p.m.
Below an startup tutorial for this theme:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ProcessAspectEditorCreation

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 09 '13, 8:26 a.m.

thanks. My problem is designing the UI, not the mechanics of making it work.

Joao Bosco Jares A. Chaves commented Nov 10 '13, 8:03 a.m.

@sam It´s my problem too. I mentioned the getting starting tutorial, to prepare other people that can contribute with us. But for sure the most problem is extensibility. And for this point I think we can start a project to developer a osgi framework focused on rtc tools. May be a plugin with many archtypes using method factory pattern, and the end user can extend with this hook methods. So It´s just a little idea to start in the case if we can not find nothing similar or better. What do you think about it. best regards. 

sam detweiler commented Nov 10 '13, 8:20 a.m.

my comment re the UI was I  have trouble figuring out what UI element to use when, and how it lays out and operates..

I HATE placing things on the panel.  the little space, do you click of scroll, up/down left/right the darned tab order, etc..
and writing all the little handling routines to implement data filters.. when was the last new data type?  these should all be standard filter/mask by now.  (reg expression matching at minimum).

and one install thing.. its a data model, why can't the data model be delivered from the server, so there is only ONE package to install in ONE place.

ok, rant over..

Joao Bosco Jares A. Chaves commented Nov 10 '13, 10:17 a.m.

me too ;) Tell me more about the idea of "the data model be delivered from the server" and "ONE package to install in ONE place" . Suppose I want to solve your problem.  

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 11 '13, 3:29 a.m. | edited Nov 11 '13, 3:31 a.m.

I am all with you here.
I try to avoid doing UI stuff in Java. I avoid aspect editors.

And I would agree it would be great if there would be only one place to deploy - on the server. Therefore I try to do server based behavior only, if at all possible.

Sorry for the multiple edits - I keep hitting CTRL-Enter to create a new line, but that saves the post.

sam detweiler commented Nov 11 '13, 8:04 a.m.

this is partly why we don't have the full admin UI on the web client. the plugin UI is deployed on the eclipse client.

describe the UI as a dialog in XML.. thats what it is..

when the client opens (regardless of where), the aspect editor base code retrieves the UI description from the server (a new service call), and then like a dialog editor base, populates and executes the dialog.  returning a data structure to the client when the dialog closes.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 11 '13, 8:16 a.m. | edited Nov 11 '13, 8:17 a.m.

Sam, please note that with 4.0.5 we have the first attempts to be able to configure operational behavior in the Web client. Please see: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/milestones/4.0.5RC1?p=news

I am not sure what the plan for custom behavior will look like, but there is an attempt being made for the ootb operational behavior.

I hope to see other stuff, such as attribute customization with Java, can also be deployed solely on the server and work for all clients.I don't have the slightest idea how that could work, but it would certainly make things so much easier.

Joao Bosco Jares A. Chaves commented Nov 11 '13, 8:29 a.m.

Very nice @Ralph. Thanks ;)

sam detweiler commented Nov 11 '13, 8:33 a.m.

thanks Ralph.

showing 5 of 9 show 4 more comments

permanent link
Joao Bosco Jares A. Chaves (324813) | answered Nov 05 '13, 7:42 a.m.
 @Ralph Schoon, @sam detweiler Thanks a lot :)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.