It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Automated Test Script execution and test environment

pietro marella (953130) | asked Nov 04 '13, 1:23 p.m.
Hello
I need to better understand how exactly the argument highlighted in red circle are used when I invoke an automated test script run.
Which is the difference in filling test environment vs machine vs test cell? Are they passed to the automation adapter and can be consumed by the invoked automation?  

More in general, what I'd like to understand is if I can plan to associate a test script execution to a specific test environment defined in my RQM and how to let my automation "manage" this information..
thanks in advance
*piero

One answer

permanent link
Sunil Kumar R (1.1k13044) | answered Nov 05 '13, 12:07 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello Pietro, the "test environment" which is a complex attribute holding several or few values viz., OS, browser, App. Server etc is used mainly for "manual test" execution scenarios.

The 'machine' and 'cell' are used for "automation" tests which use adapters like the ones from RPT, RFT, etc to run tests on the host machines with the test automation tools.

A test 'cell' might include an application server, database server, a client desktop computer, and a computer running the correct adaptor to execute tests
Best Regards
Sunil

Comments
pietro marella commented Nov 05 '13, 11:23 a.m.

Thank you, Sunil.
Just a clarification: my understanding was that "test cell" should represent the "real environment" on which test should be executed (the test automation target machine(s)). So I was expecting this information to be passed to the "automation code" that should be able than to infer host name(s) or ip address(es) of the machine(s) where to run test automation against.
If my understanding is correct, than the question would be: does the RQM pass to the automation code only the name of the test cell (in which case the automation code should query RQM to understand what are the lab resources that are part of the test cell), or does the RQM pass the overall XML fragment that represents the test cell (in which case, the automation code should parse the xml to understand how the test cell is composed of)?

Hope I haven't been too much confused in my question :-)

thanks in advance
*piero

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.