It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Restricting write access in a directory tree in a component

Rob Logie (33825041) | asked Oct 30 '13, 1:57 a.m.
retagged Dec 16 '13, 3:59 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
Hi All
I am trying to implement some selective write controls in a directory tree that is stored in one component in RTC.  The tree will be something like this

Folder-1
Folder-2
Folder-3
Folder-3/Folder-4
Folder-3/Folder-4/Folder8
Folder-3/Folder-4/Folder9
Folder-5
folder-5/Folder-7

There will be files stored in every folder of the structure.

What I want is for every member of the project area to have read access to all folders and files in the directory structure.

However I only want to give write access to all files and folders to a small select group of users.

Finally, there will be another small set of users that will have read access to everything but write access to only Folder-7 and Folder8 and all the files they contain.

Can a security model like this be implemented in RTC ?  If yes, how could it be implemented ?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 03 '13, 11:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Are you looking for "checkin time" write control (which would be against RTC's design principles) or "deliver time" write control (which would be compatible with RTC's design principles, but is not currently implemented)?

Rob Logie commented Nov 03 '13, 5:18 p.m.

Hi Geoff
Checkin time would be nice as it flags to a user the artifacts are read only as early as possible, but I do understand the design model of RTC hence preventing delivery would be fine. 
Maybe another possibility that could be implemented is that when a read only configurable item is loaded into a work space it could be loaded by RTC into the local sandbox filesystem as read-only.

One answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Oct 30 '13, 3:17 a.m.
Hi, Rob

What version of RTC are you using? In v4.x, there is some new features to control the folder level access but it still is Read control no Write control. Please find the article: https://jazz.net/library/article/215#protect_some_files
hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Don

Comments
Rob Logie commented Oct 30 '13, 6:10 p.m. | edited Nov 03 '13, 10:25 a.m.

Hi Don
Thanks for the response..I am using 4.0.2 so I do have the more recent features.  I have seen the article you where referring to but I was hoping that someone had come up with a tricky solution.
The other alternative I was thinking of was placing Folder7 and Folder-8 on a different component and use a symbolic link. Then I could use the component permissions to control the access.  But I am a little unsure about how well that will work.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 03 '13, 11:14 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, the symlinks workaround should work, if your users are willing to deal with symlinks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.